Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cutting night pumping

Question cutting night pumping

Hi! I've just returned to work recently and I pump at 1am or 3am even though DS still nurses 2-3x every night. I'm hoping to cut the night pump so I can get a little more sleep.

However, I'm hesitant as I'm proned to getting plugged ducts. I missed 1 night pumping one time and when I woke up at around 6am, my breasts were very engorged and hard!

My DS is now 3.5 months and he still wakes up at least 2-3x every night to nurse for 5-15mins each time.

1. What happens when he finally sleeps through the night? Should I still wake at 3am to pump, or should I cut the night pump and let my body adjust the supply at night?

2. If the supply falls (when baby sleeps through) at night, will it affect the day supply too?

Any advice/sharing much appreciated. TIA!

Default Re: cutting night pumping

Your body will keep up with your LOs demands, don't worry. By pumping at night you're telling your body to make more milk than it needs to (unless this is what you are using for your LO while your at work). If you want to stop the night pumping I wouldn't do it cold turkey. Instead of pumping until you are "empty" you could pump just enough to make yourself comfortable. Your body will get the message in a few days (nights).

It is amazing that your body knows, not only how much milk it needs to make, but also when to make it. Don't worry about having a diminished supply during the day. Supply and demand adjusts by time too!

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

I am glad you asked this. I don't pump at night but DS feeds 2 times. Lately he seems to be giving up at least one feed. I am going back to work soon, and I worry that if I don't have DS feed or pump during the night, my milk supply may diminish during hte day?

I would love not to have to worry about it at night so I can sleep too!

You can try not pumping a full amount - leaving some milk in your breasts. Doing this several nights in a row will tell your body that it doesn't need to make as much at this time of night. I'm adviising you to go slow on removing the night pumping, since you said you're prone to plugged ducts.

Eventually, you'll be able to cut out the night pumping altogether. I know it's hard! Your supply the rest of the day should be unaffected by removing the nighttime pumping.

Once baby starts sleeping through the night, your body will figure out that it doesn't need to make as much milk as this time, and will slow down production. Breastfeeding is a supply-and-demand process - if you (via the pump) or the baby doesn't remove the milk, your body will slow down the milk making process during that time of day.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

My baby sleeps through the night about 6 out of 7 nights usually. She sleeps from 9pm to 7am. I do not get up to pump in the night. But I do get up at 6am and pump about an hour before I know she will be up. This helps me get a good amount of milk for the daycare and it also helps with the pressure in my breasts. If I don't pump first, when I go to nurse the baby I end up spraying her and she sputters and can't deal with it and gets upset. I have not noticed any effect on my daytime supply from not pumping at night, and on the occasional night when she wakes up to nurse, I have not had any problem then either.
    -Alicia
    Mommy to Cadence (5/19/06) and Tessa (4/25/09)

Thanks all for sharing
    It's really amazing our body knows how much to produce at different times of the day/night! Wow! I'm so glad to hear that day supply won't be affected if I cut the night pumping! Yes, I'll take the advice pumping lesser each night to gradually cut the night pumping. Thanks again!

Hi all

Since my last post, I've managed to cut the night pump! However, I have to deal with another set of problems now! With reduced production in the night, my bb is not very happy with the slower flow and has been rejecting my left breast for the past few nights!

About a week ago, he was having trouble suckling, I could see he was struggling and was almost breathless after 5 mins at it on the left breast!!! After that incident/night, he simply refused to nurse on that breast any more!

Now I'm back to expressing milk from my left breast as it gets very full by around 3-4am, also 'cos I don't want to risk getting plugged ducts if I don't empty my breast often enough. Sigh. Even though my left breast gets full after he refused it for 2-3 sessions, he starts screaming the moment I put him in position to nurse on the left 'cos he probably thinks it's gonna be difficult again!!!

If I'm lucky, I could get him to nurse abit on the left while he's sleeping. But most of the time, he would already be full after finishing from the right and wouldn't latch on for even a few minutes on the left while sleeping. Is there anything I can do to resolve this??? TIA!!!

This was a good question.

I never really thought about it but I do not pump or nurse at night. I nurse on demand from 6am-10pm. My LO and I can't seem to get a good latch at night b/c we are both too tired and sometimes grumpy. I pump every morning (breast are huge and engorged but no pain, no clogs either) and use it for the night feedings - always have. My hubby takes every other night feeding to help me out - I require more sleep than he does to function. I produce milk all day long so never thought about the possibility of loosing my supply - my body just goes with the flow I guess.