Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: thats it...i quit!

Default thats it...i quit!

So I've been trying gradually get to EBFing with my 5 week preemie, who is now almost 7 weeks old. It has been SO frustrating for me as I feel like he is never content for more than 1 hour with BFing. He is a good nurser, but I think the problem is me. I'm not sure I'm willing to put forth the effort of BFing, following it up with a bottle, and then pumping...all to get to the point of EBFing. I've been EPing since he's been born and it works fine for us. I've gotten it down to a science. I want to give up attempting to BF all together. Is this wrong?

Default Re: thats it...i quit!

There are lots of moms on here that are EP'ing. As long as your baby is getting breastmilk that is the MOST important part.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Hi Mama,

I'm sorry you're so frustrated, it is hard. And I don't think there's anything wrong with pumping and giving your baby your milk - your milk is the best thing for your little one and congrats to you for trying so hard and being willing to pump for him! You have to do what's right for you and your little one! It's just that for me, I really don't like pumping and find nursing so much easier and more convienient, so I switched to that and eliminated bottles.

Just out of curiousity, if you feel he is nursing well, why are you following up with a bottle after he nurses? If he's hungry again in an hour, are you able to just nurse him again? I'm just wondering if you try to nurse him when he seems hungry and rather than follow up with a bottle just nurse him again the next time he's hungry (no matter how long it's been) then maybe you can get him off the bottles, if you want to. I'm not trying to convince you one way or the other, just trying to offer a different way. I gotta tell you, I was crazy when I had to try to nurse my son, then bottle feed, then pump. But as I took out the bottles and we did more nursing it was a huge relief for me time-wise.

You need to do what works for you. If you're happy with pumping and giving him your expressed milk, that's great!
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*erinburke View Post
    So I've been trying gradually get to EBFing with my 5 week preemie, who is now almost 7 weeks old. It has been SO frustrating for me as I feel like he is never content for more than 1 hour with BFing. He is a good nurser, but I think the problem is me. I'm not sure I'm willing to put forth the effort of BFing, following it up with a bottle, and then pumping...all to get to the point of EBFing. I've been EPing since he's been born and it works fine for us. I've gotten it down to a science. I want to give up attempting to BF all together. Is this wrong?
    Hi mama! Congrats on your LO!

So is your LO 7 weeks or 2 weeks adjusted? When was your due date?

It is difficult in the beginning mama...I won't lie. But it is SO rewarding. It took time for us to get there...until about his due date, and when he finally got nursing down and became more efficient, I was able to relax on the pumping altogether.

Starting off having to EP kind of steals your confidence a little because you KNOW how much your LO is getting, but trust your mama instinct. Watch your LO's diapers. Read your LO's cues. Lots of skin to skin...that can only help your supply and your baby's desire to EBF. I know you can do it mama, just hang in there!

EP'ing may seem like it is easier, especially in the early days. But it can be so difficult. It is very time consuming (as you know) and you never get more efficient at pumping. I really resented the pump after a while because it took time away from my baby. Anytime I had to pump was time that I couldn't be there holding my LO and snuggling him. I was so relieved when we finally got our nursing rhythm down and were able to ditch the pump for a while.

Good luck mama.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Thanks for the vote of confidence ladies. I think I've become so discouraged with BFing that I just cant stand the thought of it. My babies EDD was July 7, and was born June 4. He is currently almost 10 pounds, so he's obviously getting what he needs. I am so proud of the fact that even in the NICU, hes never received formula. I guess my biggest problems are 1)I have a ton of milk. I pump every 3-4 hours and always get 6-8 oz. If I dont empty, I get mastitis (3x already). So I feel like no matter what, I'll have to pump for a while. And 2) my baby fusses after he eats a lot. It doesnt matter if its BF or pumped, he always acts like hes still hungry. I was advised by a LC that I was feeding him too much (up to 4oz every 4 hours). So I guess its hard. With a bottle I know what hes getting and we are on a routine. It seems so much more time consuming to feed every hour? I dont know. Would it hurt to take a break or a week of trying and then come back? Will that totally confuse my LO?

I just wanted to add mama...I have been sitting here thinking about this...

It has been almost 20 months since my LO was born so sometimes I forget how hard it was. And it was hard. and I was so frustrated and I had mastitis and thrush so many times in those early days that I couldn't even count. And I thought we would never get there. And I would just sit and cry and cry and cry. And you are probably going through that right now too...and I remember...I was there too.

I did think about giving up so many times. I called the midwives and asked how to wean SO MANY TIMES. And I hadn't found these forums then so I didn't have the ladies here supporting me. But mama, if you want to do this (which I think you most likely do or you wouldn't have come to post) then you CAN do this. I cannot tell you the accomplishment I feel for having gotten through it. The bond that we share, knowing that yes, it was hard, and I was able to do it. I said to myself that he fought so hard in the beginning, so I was going to fight hard to give him this. you CAN do this mama. You can.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

I'm seriously tearing up right now. How unbelievably supportive. I really really appreciate it. I think that was the pep talk I needed to really buckle down and give this another try. You arent free for the next week or so are you? Wanna come over to my house?! Haha. Thank you all so much!

i have been there mama. my baby was not preemie but he was growth restricted and born at only 3 lbs 10 oz. so i had to exclusively pump for the first 4 weeks.

i remember how hard and exhausting it was to try to nurse, then bottle feed, then pump every few hours.

your doing a great job to make it 7 weeks! way to go. i think your LO will eventually get it if you keep trying.

what is he doing when you try to nurse him? does he nurse well?
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

If I lived close mama I would!

Feel free to PM or email me or call at anytime. I know how it was feeling like there was no one there, and my hubby was as supportive as he could be but he just didn't understand it.

I love these forums for all the support you can get! We truly are a "family!"
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

You all are seriously wonderful. I would never have made it this far without this type of support. My LO is, in fact, a really good nurser. I just dont really give him the chance he needs. I need to muster up more patience and keep on keepin on. I think I'm really just having a pity party that my situation put me at a disadvantage...but from what it seems, its really hard for everyone!! I'm lucky too...my LO can latch, suck, and all the other things he's supposed to do, and he does them all well. I think its just new to me, and it seems harder than it is! Plus DH isnt too supportive, to him I'm trying to do something that is making life a lot harder than it needs to be.