Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: PCOS and milk production

Default PCOS and milk production

Hi Ladies,

I'm hoping some of you can share your experiences with me. I had my first son very young, and gave up breastfeeding when he his 6 weeks, due to frustration and lack of understanding. Now, 9 years later- I'm pregnant again I'm thrilled, but nervous, too. Several years ago I was diagnosed with PCOS and only recently have begun to read about its effect on milk supply in nursing mothers. I am absolutely determined to do things differently this time around- from prenatal care to birth plan to committing to breastfeeding. But I'm terrified that even with my wonderfully supportive husband, and incredibly nursing friendly lifestyle and all the determination in the world I may not be successful- that due to my PCOS, I won't produce enough milk. Has anyone here had experience with this? Are there ways to increase milk supply in PCOSers? Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: PCOS and milk production

Hi, and congratulations on the pregnancy! My understanding is that PCOS is not a guarantee of low milk supply. If I remember correctly, about 1/3 of women with PCOS have normal supply, 1/3 have oversupply, and 1/3 have low supply. (Here's the link where I got that info from: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/pcos.html)

There are things you can do to make sure nursing gets off to a good start, including:
    - see a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC
    - have the healthiest pregnancy and best birth you can manage, since nursing goes most smoothly if mom and baby are both well after birth
    - nurse on demand

If you have low supply, here are some things that can help:
    - see a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC
    - pump frequently using the best pump you can afford, as additional stimulation will improve supply
    - herbs- fenugreek, blessed thistle, and oatmeal can all help boost supply
    - drugs- Reglan (available in the US) and Domperidone (Canada) are anti-nausea drugs which can increase milk production as a side-effect. Both have additional side-effects, so discuss these drugs with your doctor or midwife before taking either of them

If you must supplement, you may want to use a supplemental nursing system (SNS) so that the baby doesn't become hooked on bottles and because the baby sucks simultaneously from breast and SNS tube, which can help boost your supply while ensuring that baby gets fed.
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; August 14th, 2009 at 06:32 AM.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"