Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: So I finally bought a double electric

Default So I finally bought a double electric

Five years and three kids later

But I am pumping and donating to a local mom, and it was getting very old using a hand pumpand expressing by hand to provide baby L with about 5-10 oz a week and the 24+ I'm providing to my friend. So it was time to get an electric. Besides, my hand pump has worn out. Zero suction. No way to get replacement parts. So I made DH bring me home a Lansinoh pump, after reading about them and hearing nothing but rave reviews but not having the dough for a PISA, and I it. Nice and quiet. Plenty of suction, and I can adjust the speed. Awesome price! Anyway. . .

Question is .. . do I have to wash the entire thing after every use? That's probably not a good idea to do at work, with all the germs and stuff in the animal hospital. Or do those Medela wipes work well? It would be nice to have a way to quickly and easily clean it up in case I get caught at work long enough to need to pump a second time, KWIM, instead of having to drop everything and wash it up in a pinch in a dirty sink.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: So I finally bought a double electric

When I was pumping and out of the house for 12 hrs a day - I just kept everything in a ziploc baggy in the fridge. I never washed parts at work. (I kept spare stuff in my bag for when I dropped parts).
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    When I was pumping and out of the house for 12 hrs a day - I just kept everything in a ziploc baggy in the fridge. I never washed parts at work. (I kept spare stuff in my bag for when I dropped parts).
    Me, too - since bm is good in the fridge, I figured that the bm on the pump parts was good, too. Of course, it meant that my final pumping of the day was as "old" as my first pumping (because of droplets), but I wasn't labeling time of day anyway!

Definitely don't wash everything - too much time, and probably germier than just putting it in the fridge in a ziploc.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

I got the Lansinoh as well, and the only draw back it ever had for me was that there wasn't a carrying case for it. I just used a cooler bag that fit a smaller cooler w/ ice packs for the milk next to the pump.

As far as cleaning, I used clean paper towels and just dried off the horns, diaphrams and valves between pumps. I found that if I left the milk in the valves, sometimes it would dry up and gum up the works, and I just didn't like the milk left on the other parts, so I swiped them while I was at it. The best thing I liked about this pump is not having to even worry about milk possibly getting in the tubes.

YAY for finally getting a double electric! I bet you will notice an increase in output too. You'll have to let us know how you like it.

Anyway... when I first started pumping (I have a Medela PISA), I would wash all the pump parts with hot soapy water every.single.time. I even carried my own small bottle of dish soap to do it. It was WAY too much work and was taking forever. I finally wised up, and just decided to give my pump parts a good rinse after pumping which took like 30 seconds. That way the residual milk was rinsed out, and it didn't dry in there and gum up the parts.

ETA: Oh! Almost forgot... then when I got home in the evening, I would do one last pumping session after my LO went to bed, and then wash the pump parts in hot soapy water, and leave them out overnight to dry, ready for the next day.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

You have gotten great advice from pp's. I just wanted to add that if you do chose to use the Medela wipes I reccomend cutting them in half. They will last a lot longer, and you'll get more bang for your buck!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ladydilee View Post
    I got the Lansinoh as well, and the only draw back it ever had for me was that there wasn't a carrying case for it. I just used a cooler bag that fit a smaller cooler w/ ice packs for the milk next to the pump.
    Yeah, that annoys me too. But for $150, I guess we can't have everything

I've been so glad to have this pump with all the extra hours I've worked last week and will work this week. What I've done is rinse it off and store it in a cooler along with the pumped milk (no fridge -- I'd be scared to put it in the fridge with the animal hospital stuff), and so far, so good. Then I wash it with hot water and soap at home just before bed after doing one last pump.

I'll make a thread somewhere on the other issue -- soapy taste but that's been longer than having the new pump.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I'll make a thread somewhere on the other issue -- soapy taste but that's been longer than having the new pump.
    lipase?
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*imma2nonstopaa View Post
    lipase?
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!