Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sippie Cup and BM vs. Water

Question Sippie Cup and BM vs. Water

My one year old no longer nurses, but I pump and give her my milk since I work. We are working on finding the right sippy cup. Since she was breastfed she seems to spill milk everywhere and choke when she uses them. We've tried straws and Nuby's as well as many others. Any suggestions?

Also, since I pump, she drinks my milk exclusively - no water, no juice, nothing. Should I be giving her water or juice or cows milk?

Default Re: Sippie Cup and BM vs. Water

I don't know what to tell you about sippy cups, but as far as breastmilk vs water goes, I'd totally give her breastmilk as long as you feel up to pumping!!!
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I would suggest a sippy cup with a straw. These cups will allow her to control the flow so she won't choke. Juice is not recommended for anyone to drink on a regular basis. 8 oz. of orange juice contains the juice from 4 oranges. The sugar may be natural if you buy a brand such as juicy juice BUT that does not mean that the juice from the 4 oranges is not still there. That is a lot of sugar for anyone which is why diabetics can't drink juice...even 100% natural juice. It will spike your childs blood sugar and then send it crashing down. A persons body digests all sugar the same whether it's from an apple or a cupcake.

I would suggest that you stick to the breastmilk and water. Breastmilk is such a complete nutrient that if given the option I believe all mothers should still offer it, even if only for the nutrients.

I don't believe that you should give your child cows milk unless you stop giving breastmilk. Cows milk contains hormones and antibiotics. These hormones can cause early puberty and accelerated growth. Not to mention that cows milk is for cows.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*csrose21 View Post
    I would suggest a sippy cup with a straw. These cups will allow her to control the flow so she won't choke. Juice is not recommended for anyone to drink on a regular basis. 8 oz. of orange juice contains the juice from 4 oranges. The sugar may be natural if you buy a brand such as juicy juice BUT that does not mean that the juice from the 4 oranges is not still there. That is a lot of sugar for anyone which is why diabetics can't drink juice...even 100% natural juice. It will spike your childs blood sugar and then send it crashing down. A persons body digests all sugar the same whether it's from an apple or a cupcake.

I would suggest that you stick to the breastmilk and water. Breastmilk is such a complete nutrient that if given the option I believe all mothers should still offer it, even if only for the nutrients.

I don't believe that you should give your child cows milk unless you stop giving breastmilk. Cows milk contains hormones and antibiotics. These hormones can cause early puberty and accelerated growth. Not to mention that cows milk is for cows.
    awesome post! Thank-you for giving good information about juice and cows milk... I just posted a reply earlier to this thread: 2 yo begging for cow's milk about how I believe every mom should give their own milk! Especially if they are able to pump or breastfeed!
    Here is some info about giving water: Kellymom there isn't a lot about the older baby past 6 months, but breastmilk can meet all the thirst needs if you so choose!
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12

I would suggest using water to teach your lo how to use a sippy. Less waste of the liquid gold Experiment with a bunch of different kinds until you find one that she likes. There are slow flow sippys as well that you can buy.

And as for milk vs water - I would offer breastmilk as long as you have it. If you run out, or she wants more and you don't have enough pumped, water is definitely better than juice.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I taught Lilah to drink out of a straw cup by putting some water in a straw, putting the straw in her mouth and then letting the water into her mouth. Then I let her suck on the straw in a cup. She was very excited about it Only took a couple of minutes and she's 10 months old. She likes to drink out of a cup the regular way, but cannot be in charge of it herself.

Then I bought her a Playtex cup with a straw and she just chewed on the straw. I took the lid off, gave her some water out of the cup without the straw, put the lid back on and she's been a pro ever since.

The Nuby straw cups are very hard to drink through. I tried and could not get any water through it. The playtex ones aren't too bad, and still spill proof. Lilah actually puked after trying to suck water through the Nuby straw once.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

My LO (14 months) has a Safe Sippy, although she normally just drinks water out of a glass at mealtimes.

My DS would not drink out of any hard spout or straw sippy cup. I had to go with the soft spout sippy for him. I think Munchkin soft spout sippys are all he will drink out of even now.
    Collin born 4/27/08 by C-Section- BF for 15 months

Conner born 8/28/09 by VBAC- BF for 2 years and hopefully will wean soon!!

Also with & due 11/23/11