Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't keep this up...

Question I can't keep this up...

Hi Ladies,

I currently work full time so I have to pump for DS. I get about 8 oz. in a day and that's not gonna cut it for much longer (he will be 5 months in a couple of weeks). I DO NOT want to have to supplement. I'm looking for a part time job so I won't have to pump as much, or at least not make it so hard on myself. My dilemma is this: if I can't find a part time job, should I quit my job all together and stay home so I can strictly bf? I'd hate to put the financial strain on us but it almost seems worth it. Have any of y'all been in this situation?? If so, what did you do? I just can't see how I could fulfill his nourishment needs and still be healthy myself, if I have a full time job.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Default Re: I can't keep this up...

I lot of mamas supplement. The way I see it, some breastmilk is better than none. I know it's a PITA but it's so worth it. I work fulltime and pump too. Some days I get my usual, some days more, some days less. But it's best for my family that I work right now.

How often do you pump and for how long? What pump are you using? Have you tried Fenugreek or More Milk Plus supps?

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

I pump M - F about every 2 or 3 hours, depending on how busy I am at work. I pump a couple of times during the weekend. My pump isn't that great. It's an Evenflo electric. I haven't tried fenugreek or MMP. Another problem I have is that I don't have any frozen BM so everything I pump today is what he eats tomorrow...and so on. It's just so stressful. I know I should continue to work but I'm also burned out at my job. I wish I could do it all.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

-Lois McMaster Bujold

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    It also sounds as thought there is more there related to the job and pumping and managing is adding to that stress. Evaluate all your options.
    You're right. I guess the pro/con list that's going on in my head needs to be written down with DH.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Wife to G 4/27/07

-Lois McMaster Bujold

you can try wic they have good pumps to lend.

this link might be helpful to you:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-partial.html

oh and what's your schudle at work like?
    maybe we can help you figure out how to pump beter.

I pump every 3.5-4 hours in order to get 4-6 ounces. I have a PIS which I think is a bit more powerful than the one you're using (or it was - it's 3yo). I also have the Medela Swing, which is another good pump.

I agree with Beth though that you have added stress. Maybe that pro/con list is a good idea.

Also, if you're worried about a freezer stash, add a session or two on the weekends to build one up.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

In my experience, the Evenflo pump is very inferior. I upgraded to a Lansinoh double electric ($150 @ Target, but no carrying bag), and was much happier with my output. Even so, I was pretty much in the same boat as you at about the same point, not getting enough. I added pumping before and after work as well as my three times a day at work to try and get more, and then sometimes right before bed when the LO had gone to bed. At this point, it is a matter of your committment. Where there is a will, there is a way, and every ounce counts.

Another thing that helped was on a three day weekend, I power pumped the whole weekend, in addition to nursing. Sure it kills the weekend, but eases the stress throughout the week for two reasons. First, you have additional pumped milk to supplement what you get at work, and second, your body is signaled that it needs to make more (and will, because you are less stressed about how much you are making, because of the milk you have stored). If you don't have a three day weekend handy, just start Friday night.

I think between a better pump and doing a couple of power pumping weekends, you may find that you can stick to your normal schedule and still get more.

Thanks for the ladies. I know it could be worse.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Wife to G 4/27/07

-Lois McMaster Bujold

Hello!

Congratulations on continuing to BF through the struggle ... I know it's hard a lot of mom's decide it's too much and just give up the first sign of trouble!! Give yourself credit (and a break) and don't be too hard on yourself.

I have a 9 mo son who I have been BF'ing since birth. I, too, wanted to EBF and at times my supply got low. The first few months I put tons in the freezer, and just used it on the lower supply days (busy at work, during my period, etc). Then, one day I looked in the freezer and realized I had a few (of like 50) bags left!!! Not only was I pumping like crazy already, (3 x day at work + after morning feeding at home and after bedtime feeding at home), now I totally kicked it into overdrive!! I was drinking mother's milk tea, pumping every 2 hours on the weekends, and I managed to get through it!

True confession: when my son was 6 months old, I was happy to give him juice because it meant he might drink a little less milk so I could save more. Looking back, I should have realized sooner that I should have just supplemented if I needed to because it's way better than trying to fill a baby up on juice. I only gave it to him once a day, and it was 50/50 dilluted, but that's what I was thinking.

I was so proud of myself ... EBF'ing ... and I was telling everyone I knew about it!! Then I got a new job and was told I had to go to Tucson for a week!! So with about a month's notice, I was able to freeze 3 days worth of milk from hardly any saved up. I was freaking out, crying, going nuts on my husband, and realized that I would HAVE to supplement while I was gone. Feeling defeated, like a horrible mother, and everything else that goes along with it, I decided that if I was going to have to supplement, I wanted to make sure before I left that he took the formula ok. So I gave him his *first* bottle of formula ... and you know what? He survived. Didn't even know it was anything different, actually. No change in attitude, poops, or fussiness at all.

After I gave it to him, I felt an overwhelming sense of relief, in many ways. I was relieved that he took it ok and relieved that all this tremendous amount of stress was just alleviated so easily. I was pumping like a mad woman up until then. Seriously, I would pump until blood started coming out of my nipples sometimes ... for more than 30 min at a time. My husband always went to bed before I did, and I would stay up as late as my body allowed just to make more milk to pump before I went down. I tried waking up at 2 am to pump, but working full-time w/ 4 kids, it just exhausted me!!

After I gave him the formula, my husband asked me if we get to cuddle in bed at night again (I would always come to bed when he was sleeping)... I realized I was giving up a lot just to BF my son!! Not only that, but it was stressing me out sooooo much and making me feel like a bad mom, when really I am a GREAT mom for keeping up this long!!

I made it through my Tucson trip, my LO only needed like 2 formula bottles, and I managed to bring back tons and tons for the freezer with me. I am still BF'ing, but if my supply gets low ... or I decide I just want to go to bed instead of stay up late to pump, I will! And my baby will be just fine!

Read these forums, they will help a LOT! Also, invest in a good pump.

Here's my sad story about buying a Madela PIS ... I actually got a GAP credit card because they sell them online at the GAP so I could buy some decent nursing clothes and a PIS pump. Sad, but true. I am soooo glad I got one because I could be done pumping in 10 minutes and get 90 - 95% of my milk out. I always go longer, thinking I will get more, but usually do not.

Holy smokes this is a long post ... sorry!! I just wanted to share my thoughts and experiences. Read these posts, you can learn a lot about how to increase your milk. While BM is always superior, formula is a nutritionally complete alternative if needed. Hang in there - it gets easier!!

~Lisa
    Last edited by @llli*busymom; August 16th, 2009 at 08:31 PM.