Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: water?

Default water?

When do you normally begin to give a baby water to drink? I read somewhere about letting them have it in a sippy cup at 6months when they are learning to eat, but am not sure about that...

Default Re: water?

here is some info. i started giving her a little water in a sippy at 6 months, she didn't really start drinking it until about 8-9 months and now only drinks a few oz a day. HTH
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

I've been researching this too, and have found that yes they should start learning to take water in a cup starting around 6 months, but breastmilk should be the only thing to quench thirst still, you wouldn't want your LO to fill up on water! Its just for fun at that point until they learn to eat solids and need a little bit with their food.
    Kellymom.com is a great website, and its a coicidence your username is kellynewmom!
    Here is the link for info on water. HTH!
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*abbymom View Post
    here is some info. i started giving her a little water in a sippy at 6 months, she didn't really start drinking it until about 8-9 months and now only drinks a few oz a day. HTH
    Same here. We did BLS and I would just put the food and the sippy on her tray and most of the time she just played with the cup. Eventually she figured out how to drink it and now she might drink 1/2 cup per day.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I wanted to bump this thread because I recently started giving my 9.5 year old water in a cup to wash down the chunky rice cereal at feedings. Uhm, he's in LOVE with water. Other than filling up on it, is there any harm in the amount given? I'm not going to give him cupfuls each day but should I just steer clear of offering water daily since it seems like he could drink cupfuls if offered? He was EB up until 4 days ago. He is now drinking water from a cup on his own.

My girl loves water too. It seems like she's drinking a ton, but it probably only amounts to an ounce or so at a time. I like to give it to her when she's eating solids so she doesn't get constipated.

Maybe you could give him your milk in a cup if you're worried about him drinking too much? I don't think there's any harm in a few ounces a day at 9.5 months old.

I don't think there is any harm at all. IMHO I think it's great for LOs to get to love the taste of water. I started all my kids out around 6 mo and now my 15 yo and my 11 yo both drink lots especially compared with other kids their age who seem to prefer milk or juice or soda.

I even have a friend who says water "tastes nasty" and has to force herself to drink it. She's 35 with high blood pressure and chronic pain problems.

So, the fact that you LO loves water is wonderful!

I'd just be sure to limit the amount at this age still. BM should still be the mainstay of their diet until one year. And too much water can be toxic if it throws off electrolyte balance. I think I stayed at offering about 3oz a day until my kids were over one year.

http://www.askdrsears.com/faq/fit6.asp
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Thanks you guys!!

This has been helpful, I'm trying to get my LO to drink a tiny bit to get used to the taste. We tried in a sippy cup and a regular cup, but she seems to "choke" on it a bit, even the smallest amount, I'm sure it's just having to get used to it, but she does seem to enjoy it none the less!

I've heard that if you let them experiment drinking water out of a straw, then they'll eventually get the hang of it. Seems it would make spills less likely. Anyone used a straw?
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold