Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: rule of thumb on how often

Default rule of thumb on how often

My little one is 13mths old. He is on the little side, 10th percentile. He has reflux and a dairy allergy (it has been a rough year). ANy who, he is such a busy guy that he just can't be bothered with nursing most of the day. I worry about him not getting enough, especially since he is small. Is there a rule of thumb on how often they should nurse? He just recently started sleeping a little better (thank you GOD) so I can't count on night nursing as much. he typically will nurse off and on in the morning from 6-9, eat breakfast, nurse again, nurse around nap and after. His evening nursings are the worst (once at dinner then at bed). Once everyone is home in the evening he is too busy. He will nurse to sleep and wakes at least once. So he gets at least 5, not counting middle of the night. however I don't think he gets much right before bed as my supply is always very low then.
    any words of wisdom?
    Thanks,
    Donna

Default Re: rule of thumb on how often

I'm not aware of any specific "rules of thumb" when it comes to nursing a 13 month old other than it's never a bad idea to allow baby to just nurse on demand

Is he gaining weight and not showing any signs of dehydration? How are his developmental milestones - is he doing alright developmentally, in your opinion?

Try to keep the faith in your son's instincts. Unless a baby is very sick and/or weak, they usually won't starve themselves. Their tummies are still very tiny at 13 months old so it may seem like he's really not eating anything but chances are, he's eating just what his little body needs. The only suggestion I might add is that if you are truly concerned, then perhaps try offering to nurse him before any meals of solid foods then again after his solids? I guess I always rest easy knowing that if my nurslings have eaten nothing throughout the day, they at least got plenty of breastmilk!

Hope this helps!

Default Re: rule of thumb on how often

He actually eats solids better than he nurses. he is showing no obvious signs of dehydration; he has wet diapers, he is still drooling. his diapers aren't huge but he is going, they aren't dark yellow or strong smelling.
    He is hitting milestons, has been walking for a couple months now. I do sometimes offer the breast before and after but like I said, if everyone is home or there is too much going on, he can't be bothered. I don't know that I would say we nurse on demand as I often initiate way more than him. he only cries to nurse when he is tired or upset.
    Thanks for your suggestions. I was hoping there was a more solid guideline like when they were newborns. I am a rules kind of girl