Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what else should I do?

Default what else should I do?

well pumping has not been successful yet. I'm pumping about 3 hrs around the clock and I'm getting NOTHING! Not even a drip. I got some colustrum yesterday morning and nothing since. I'm drinking water like crazy, but it goes through me so fast should I try every two hours?? I dont have to pump to make bottles, just need to get my milk in.
    I'm being impatient arent I
    I just thought I'd at least have some drops or something by now. Should I worry?

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Default Re: what else should I do?

I think that taking a few days for milk to come in is completely normal. I would assume (although I don't know this for sure) that if might even take a bit longer if you've had a c-section since it is not a 'natural' birth.

No guilt intended- I had 2 sections!

I've read in some of the pregnancy/child brith books that milk can take longer to come in after a c/s as well, because the "hormone cocktail" that sets off labor hasn't sent the signal yet. I bet it will be in momentarily! I'm afraid that pumping too often may not make your milk come in faster, but it may come in like niagra falls, ready to feed your hungry octuplets!!

You're doing great! I would keep at it every 3-4 hours, or see if you can talk with a lactation consultant on staff at the hospital for her opinion.

P.S. Any updates on your little man?

Emily, mommy to
    Jeremija Charles - 5/30/07 - nursed 26 mo, and
    Aleksandar Hayes - 12/13/09 - nursing strong!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you are going to do now and do it." - William Durant

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way, if you don't, you'll find an excuse.

When I had my c-section I started drinking mother's milk tea soon after. My milk came in pretty quickly.

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

Give it more time. My milk didn't come in that fast with any of mine. Even with non-stop nursing I think It took almost 3 days.

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

I don't think c-sections really have a whole lot to do with it (IME). How long did it take with coop? It's harder with a pump hang in there mama!! Maybe try every 2 hours when you feel like it (like for maybe 3 pumping sessions in a row or something), and every 3 hours for the rest of the 24 hour period, kwim? You could also do "power pumping" if you want to.

However I think your milk will come in without any extra steps, but I know what it's like to want something and to be impatient
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I had a vag-birth and Lucy nursed a lot plus I had been nursing Daniel and my milk still didn't come in until about the 3 day mark.

If you can though, you should try nursing every 2 hours at least during the day. A newborn nurses a lot, you want to be sure to get off to that good start. Did you have any supply issues with Coop?

You can do this Heather!
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

My baby was in the NICU for the first two days and they had me pump at least 8 times a day in addition to trying to nurse her when I could. So I was pumping every two hours. It was very frustrating at first - I couldn't get anything out, but after about a day I started getting more of the colostrum out. The lactation consultant told me to pump at low suction, high speed for two minutes, then high suction low speed (I think the speed was 4 and 7 on a Medela Lactina) for five minutes. She said to do that twice and then stop. I think it made it less frustrating than just sitting there pumping away trying to get some amount out. Also, I had the wrong size horns. Did you pump with your first son at all? If not, ask them to bring you an assortment of horn sizes so you can see if it is a horn size issue.

I also had a c-section and my milk came in like gangbusters on the third day.

Good luck!!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I wasn't able to nurse Thomas for several days either, and my LC told me to set my alarm and pump every 1.5 hours around the clock. It took a little while, but it worked, and when my milk came in (around 5 days I think ?), I could have fed the entire nursery with one pumping's worth.

I hope you're doing well, and sending lots of good thoughts for Bennett's surgery.

with pps, totally normal and try not to worry! Just keep up what you are doing and maybe take some of the suggestions offered!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on