Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm so sad :(

Default I'm so sad :(

I am ebf my son. He is 6 weeks old. He nurses great n I can hear him gulping n sometimes almost chokes. So my question is why when I pump I dont get anything? I usually get about a half an ounce to an ounce and thats from both breasts together! I am so sad because sometimes I need to leave him with my mom but I dont have any ebm to give her for him and cant go anywhere only for the most an hour. I am taking fenugreek to see if it helps but so far it hasnt with the pumping. Just with the nursing cause he chokes even more now that theres more milk. I've tried thinking that hes nursing, pictures, and just completely relaxing it still does not help. I do have a letdown because I feel it and it starts to spray out but it lasts like less than half a minute?? How long does a letdown usually last? I am so sad mostly because I wanted to pump for him when I return to work so I can also keep my supply to nurse when I am home but I dont think this is going to happen if I dont pump anything, my milk supply will diminish Please help and advice is welcome thanks soooo much!

Default Re: I'm so sad :(

Pumping is a learned skill, so output depends a lot on your expertise at doing it and on the pump you have, since not all pumps are equally good. What sort of pump are you using?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Don't worry too much. When I first started pumping I could only get about an once at a time even though I was completely full and even uncomfortable at times. It takes time to get used to the pump and trying different things while pumping. For me for example is hard to pump when my LO is there. I can't get a thing if he's in the room. When I am at work though it's a different story.

what kind of pump do you have? I have found the they Hygeia is better for me than the Medela. How much time before you go back to work? it may be a good idea to start pumping after each feeding so you can start to build a small stash for when you return

Thanks girls Well I am using the medela pump in style. I pump for like 20-30 min each breast. I sure hope it gets better. I get so jealous when people say they pump like 8 oz

Hang in there it will happen, you just have to be consistent. are you doing both breast at the same time? that normally works best. Also make sure the flange size is correct, mine was changed to a larger one late in the game and it made a HUGE difference.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*addisonsmom View Post
    For me for example is hard to pump when my LO is there. I can't get a thing if he's in the room. When I am at work though it's a different story.
    I also have a hard time getting much when I'm at home and my daughter is in the room, or even awake and in a different room with my husband! When I'm at work and I'm pumping in place of a feeding, it goes better.

The Pump in Style is a good pump- it's funny that you're not getting better results. I'd definitely see a lactation consultant- she may be able to find the reason why pumping isn't working for you (like incorrectly-sized breast shields), or teach you some alternative methods of expressing milk (think hand expression).

Meanwhile, I would keep on pumping- you may have better luck as time goes on, and even a small amount of pumped milk is a start on the freezer stash for work!

Have you tried smelling one of your baby's worn outfits while pumping? The sense of smell is really powerful- maybe if you can smell your baby your body will feel more like letting down.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

No I usually pump one at a time. For some reason I feel itchy when I have no hands lol. I will start doing both though. Lately since I am on the fenugreek my son gets full with one breast and I pump the other. I dont get it because it is super full and engorged and still only get an ounce. I also have the avent manual pump and same thing I only get 1/2 ounce and one ounce if I am lucky. I so have letdowns when pumping but they only last like half a minute is that normal? It feels a lot longer when baby is nursing.

There is a hands free pumping bra you can get. Or you can cut slits into a sports bra for the flanges to fit through. Definitely find some way to go hands free; you'll enjoy it a lot more.
    Mom to:
    Johann, Born June 21, 2009 8lb, 7oz & 22in nursed until 2 years old
    Lydia, Born March 30, 2013 9lb, 5.6oz & 21.75 inches

Nursed through hypothryroidism, IGT, and a SNS both times around

There is also one you can make with pony tail holders. Look it up on kellymom.com I use that and it's great because I didn't have to buy anything and now I can pump in my car on my way to appointments. It's amazing how much better pumping goes when you are hands free

I also forgot to ask you, exactly how long have you been pumping? it took me 4 weeks before I got any substantial amount (it also helps to be consistent)