Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: store? or not?

Unhappy store? or not?

After warming up stored milk can i re-store it?? sometimes my baby gets sleepy and doesnt finish her usual amount. Sometimes she leaves a whole ounce. Is it better to just throw it away?

Default Re: store? or not?

i just leave it out and use it in a fresh bottle for the next feed...with newer milk added to make a full bottle
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Well, I always had a hard time throwing out even a single ounce of BM, because it was such a huge effort to pump the milk!! Sooooo, here's what *I* would do. I probably wouldn't mix the old milk with a fresh bottle at the next feed. I would just keep the leftover milk in the same bottle it was in already, and then make a separate bottle with fresh milk. BUT, I wouldn't put the normal amount in the new bottle. For example, if the old bottle had 1 ounce leftover, and you typically make a 4 ounce bottle, I would only put 3 ounces in the new bottle, then use the old 1 ounce first before starting on the new 3 ounce bottle. Does that make sense? That way, by not mixing the old milk with the new, if your LO still doesn't drink it all at the next feed, you aren't left with milk that is essentially "2 feedings" old.

Sorry, that was really rambly. I hope that made sense.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

i've done that too!!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

ITA with buff - since warmed bm can be reused at the next feeding (within 4 hours), it doesn't make sense to mix "fresh" with "old". I would make a new partial bottle, and use the old one first and the new one second.

Oh - and make sure that you stick it in the fridge (or a cooler) while it's waiting to be reused!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

thanx every1 for ur help...now i dnt have to waste BM ..it almost makes me cry to just throw my hard work away

Super helpful post!!
    Mommy to Liam
    8/12/09
    Breastfeeder, co-sleeper, single first time mommy