Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Switching to electric pump - will my supply mess up

Default Switching to electric pump - will my supply mess up

I have a manual medela breast pump that I have been using now for 2 months and I love it. I love how much milk it takes out (3 ounces per boob)during feedings.. I have not liked the length that it takes and always wished I had spurlged the extra 50 bucks to get the electronic one..

So my best friend is giving me her electronic medela pump (the 80 dollar one) It does one boob at a time.. Same thing I have just it is electric..

So my question is - will my supply mess up for the first few days while my boob gets use to the electric one..Will I get the same amount of milk or will I get less....

I pump once a day to build up my freezer stash so that when I go back to work I have enough milk.

Once I do go back to work I plan to buy the handsfree medela...thank you

Thank you ladies..

Default Re: Switching to electric pump - will my supply mess up

I think your supply will do fine with going from manual to electric.
    I've used my electric most of the time, but the few times when I was exclusively pumping, my hand pumped the same amount out. Now I've haven't used the hand pump since December, but when I tried it last month, I got nothing but a few drops out, but do well with my electric.
    Missy MooCow
    - Mom to DS 03/2003 & DD 07/2008
    - - Ex-Exclusive pumper
    - - Yeah!! Full time nurser since December!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*missy.moocow View Post
    I think your supply will do fine with going from manual to electric.
    I've used my electric most of the time, but the few times when I was exclusively pumping, my hand pumped the same amount out. Now I've haven't used the hand pump since December, but when I tried it last month, I got nothing but a few drops out, but do well with my electric.
    I think that electric to manual would be hard (since you're going to a less efficient pump), but the other way around should be just fine. Sending you !
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

So I tried it today and guess what ladies.. I pumped much less. It took me about 20 minutes to get 1 ounce. Normally on my manual pump I get 3 ounces in 10 minutes..

Did I do something wrong or was it just a fluke...

how old is the pump? can you manually pump the other breast while electric pumping the other, then switch? so that in one sitting you have used both on each breast?

Was anything else different? From your first post, it looks like you were hand-pumping while nursing; did you electric-pump the same way?

Other thoughts: worn parts (particularly that little fiddly bit) on the pump, differently shaped breastshield, different rhythm (is it adjustable speed and/or suction?). Having never used the single electric, I can't speak to its efficacy, but I know that some of the above can create challenges.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

Just commenting on getting a hands free pump... Make sure you get it well before going back to work, to train your body to it. I went from an older medela to the new one, and my breasts wouldn't let down to it right away. It sounds like that's what's going on for you right now with your switch from manual to electric.

I have no solution or advice; just keep trying it, and hopefully your body will adjust.
    Mom to:
    Johann, Born June 21, 2009 8lb, 7oz & 22in nursed until 2 years old
    Lydia, Born March 30, 2013 9lb, 5.6oz & 21.75 inches

Nursed through hypothryroidism, IGT, and a SNS both times around

Here is the breakdown

This is the one taht I use http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2409078. I use it after my last bf session with Jack in the evening. I normally do both breast and I get about 3 - 4 ounces. I do not pump in the morning because I simply do not have the time. Once he is UP he is UP.

This is the one my bf gave me http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2409068 after one week of use. She says she is simply not the breastfeeding type and after pumping and discovering her baby does not handle diary well she says she is not giving up dairy and gave me the pump....

I pumped this morning from one engorged breast (he is sleeping through the night so my breast wake up full) and i got 2 ounces.. The milk flow was better but it was still less then I would have gotten with my normal pump.

All the parts are new and fine so I don't know what is the problem

I am getting this once I go back to work http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3214492 and I am hoping it is not as disappointing as the one I just got. I am planning to make the purchase once I have a job...I was laid off at 8 weeks pregnant.

Ladies thank you for listening and I hope I got all your questions

! I lost track of this thread, and just saw it again. I'm wondering how you are doing?