Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oatmeal? Fenugreek? How much?

Default Oatmeal? Fenugreek? How much?

I have been off for the summer but will be returning to work and pumping in a week. I would like to continue BF through the school year but, I am concerned about keeping my supply up. On the other hand, I had oversupply issues in the beginning and don't want to go back there. What's the best way to handle this?
    I did eat alot of oatmeal cookies a few weeks back and noticed an increase in supply. So, I am thinking that may be the best method for me to try first. If so, how much is enough? One serving, two??? If that doesn't seem to help, where can I find other herbal supplements?
    with my Best Friend
    Proud Mommy to my 3 girls
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    "Peanut" 02/26/09 birth weight 5lbs 2 oz
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Firm believer in the glory of "MIRACLE GROW"

Default Re: Oatmeal? Fenugreek? How much?

I don't think there's a maximum amount of oatmeal that you can eat, so I guess eat as much as you can stand! For fenugreek,my understanding is that when your sweat and urine start to smell like maple syrup, you're taking enough.

I started taking the fenugreek and I really didnt see a difference. I just smelled like maple! I had the same concerns about puming and working and my lil one now chooses to have a bottle rather than me... I never really got much out of a pump to begin with, so I am going to start both oatmeal and fenugreek to see if I can get my supply back.

Here's a great site for amounts. FYI, not all mamas end up smelling of maple, and it can work for them anyway.

!

(I took a medium amount of fenugreek 3x/day, and I had a big bowl of oatmeal every morning. Worked great for me!)
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

If I try the oatmeal and it doesn't seem to work...is fenugreek the best second option? Where can I get it, or other products for increasing supply? I want to be prepared and have something on hand if my supply starts to drop.
    I know I sound paranoid but, I had major problems (long story) with my first DD and dried up when she was only 4 months old. With my second I made it to around 9 months. I am not 100% sure I will be able to pump when I want/need to at school and if I have to do it at odd times and it starts to affect my supply, I want to be prepared to be able to fix the problem KWIM?
    with my Best Friend
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beccib72 View Post
    If I try the oatmeal and it doesn't seem to work...is fenugreek the best second option? Where can I get it, or other products for increasing supply? I want to be prepared and have something on hand if my supply starts to drop.
    I know I sound paranoid but, I had major problems (long story) with my first DD and dried up when she was only 4 months old. With my second I made it to around 9 months. I am not 100% sure I will be able to pump when I want/need to at school and if I have to do it at odd times and it starts to affect my supply, I want to be prepared to be able to fix the problem KWIM?
    I found that fenugreek was more useful for me than oatmeal, although oatmeal did ensure that I got breakfast every morning. You can find the pills in most health food stores;I usually get my pills from iherb.com. Instead of pills, you can actually also use whole seeds (here is a dosage chart), which are much cheaper (you get them at Indian / ethnic stores, or online). I started on pills, but switched to whole seeds.

Here's another question: how often do you think you will be able to pump? What kind of pump are you using? (Okay, that was two questions.) I may have some suggestions/tips...

!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

I have a Medela PISA. At the end of last school year I worked for about 3 weeks and was able to pump twice while at school. I don't know right now what my break times will be so, it's hard to determine how many times and when I might be able to pump. Ideally I would pump around 9, then noon, and then 245 before going home. But, I cut out the last pumping time after my first week back at work because it seemed like my LO was getting frustrated because I wasn't as "full"!
    with my Best Friend
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Has anyone heard about Alfalfa? If so how much is recommended and is it ok to take fenugreek, blessed thistle, brewers yeast and alfalfa? I know some say BY doesn't work, but I felt an increase in let down when I added that with the others....just wondering if I add yet another herb to my repetoire?

op how old is baby?

That seems like a good pumping schedule! I pumped at the end of the day as well. It took a few weeks, but my body eventually started making enough for a pumping & my LO (following a short drive).