Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oatmeal? Fenugreek? How much?

Default Oatmeal? Fenugreek? How much?

I have been off for the summer but will be returning to work and pumping in a week. I would like to continue BF through the school year but, I am concerned about keeping my supply up. On the other hand, I had oversupply issues in the beginning and don't want to go back there. What's the best way to handle this?
    I did eat alot of oatmeal cookies a few weeks back and noticed an increase in supply. So, I am thinking that may be the best method for me to try first. If so, how much is enough? One serving, two??? If that doesn't seem to help, where can I find other herbal supplements?
    with my Best Friend
    Proud Mommy to my 3 girls
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    "Peanut" 02/26/09 birth weight 5lbs 2 oz
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Firm believer in the glory of "MIRACLE GROW"

Default Re: Oatmeal? Fenugreek? How much?

I don't think there's a maximum amount of oatmeal that you can eat, so I guess eat as much as you can stand! For fenugreek,my understanding is that when your sweat and urine start to smell like maple syrup, you're taking enough.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I started taking the fenugreek and I really didnt see a difference. I just smelled like maple! I had the same concerns about puming and working and my lil one now chooses to have a bottle rather than me... I never really got much out of a pump to begin with, so I am going to start both oatmeal and fenugreek to see if I can get my supply back.

Here's a great site for amounts. FYI, not all mamas end up smelling of maple, and it can work for them anyway.

!

(I took a medium amount of fenugreek 3x/day, and I had a big bowl of oatmeal every morning. Worked great for me!)
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

If I try the oatmeal and it doesn't seem to work...is fenugreek the best second option? Where can I get it, or other products for increasing supply? I want to be prepared and have something on hand if my supply starts to drop.
    I know I sound paranoid but, I had major problems (long story) with my first DD and dried up when she was only 4 months old. With my second I made it to around 9 months. I am not 100% sure I will be able to pump when I want/need to at school and if I have to do it at odd times and it starts to affect my supply, I want to be prepared to be able to fix the problem KWIM?
    with my Best Friend
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beccib72 View Post
    If I try the oatmeal and it doesn't seem to work...is fenugreek the best second option? Where can I get it, or other products for increasing supply? I want to be prepared and have something on hand if my supply starts to drop.
    I know I sound paranoid but, I had major problems (long story) with my first DD and dried up when she was only 4 months old. With my second I made it to around 9 months. I am not 100% sure I will be able to pump when I want/need to at school and if I have to do it at odd times and it starts to affect my supply, I want to be prepared to be able to fix the problem KWIM?
    I found that fenugreek was more useful for me than oatmeal, although oatmeal did ensure that I got breakfast every morning. You can find the pills in most health food stores;I usually get my pills from iherb.com. Instead of pills, you can actually also use whole seeds (here is a dosage chart), which are much cheaper (you get them at Indian / ethnic stores, or online). I started on pills, but switched to whole seeds.

Here's another question: how often do you think you will be able to pump? What kind of pump are you using? (Okay, that was two questions.) I may have some suggestions/tips...

!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

I have a Medela PISA. At the end of last school year I worked for about 3 weeks and was able to pump twice while at school. I don't know right now what my break times will be so, it's hard to determine how many times and when I might be able to pump. Ideally I would pump around 9, then noon, and then 245 before going home. But, I cut out the last pumping time after my first week back at work because it seemed like my LO was getting frustrated because I wasn't as "full"!
    with my Best Friend
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Has anyone heard about Alfalfa? If so how much is recommended and is it ok to take fenugreek, blessed thistle, brewers yeast and alfalfa? I know some say BY doesn't work, but I felt an increase in let down when I added that with the others....just wondering if I add yet another herb to my repetoire?

op how old is baby?

That seems like a good pumping schedule! I pumped at the end of the day as well. It took a few weeks, but my body eventually started making enough for a pumping & my LO (following a short drive).