Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pre-term babies

Default Pre-term babies

Is there any guidelines on storing, thawing, using, re-using BM for pre-term babies?

This information is based on current research and applies to mothers who:

* have healthy, full-term babies;
    * are storing their milk for home use (as opposed to hospital use);
    * wash their hands before expressing;
    * use containers that have been washed in hot, soapy water and rinsed.
    I find that alot of info i find on BM is based on healthy, full-term babies.
    My twins were born 5 weeks early, so does this mean i should not use the guidelines found here?
    Happy to be Vegan
    Mummy to Dane, Kiye, Raven, Summer-May and Sky-Lark

Default Re: Pre-term babies

Hi mama! Congrats on your babies! Are they in the hospital? At home?

When we were in the hospital they didn't give us many guidelines except keeping everything sterile. I pumped at home, labeled everything, and then brought everything to the hosp. for them to freeze. Then after we were home I did basically the same procedure just with our home fridge/freezer. I know with full term babies or older babies you don't need to be as aggressive with the sterilization, but I kept it up for a while just to be safe.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

The twins are home..they are 12 weeks old.
    I was never told anything about pre-term babies, so i always presumed it would be exactly the same as full term baby care.
    But everything(inc. medicines you can buy for them)states the guidelines are suitable for full term babies.
    But with milk storage and the like its the sterility i have to be careful with? Im one of the sterility obssesive type, so thats not difficult!
    Happy to be Vegan
    Mummy to Dane, Kiye, Raven, Summer-May and Sky-Lark

I would say you're fine now mama. Unless there was some health issue, just treat them like healthy happy babies!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?