Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What is a "cup"?

Default What is a "cup"?

I know this seems like a silly question, but my 3 month old DD is able to sit up and is interested in the foods we eat. I had heard/read that it is OK to start solids at 4 months. Well, after reading the article on kellymom.com, I'm going to hold off until she's 6 months.

However, it says on there to get her used to using a cup filled (1 - 2 ounces) with water or breastmilk when a child is 4 or 5 months old. What do they mean by a cup? Like a regular cup without a top or a sippy cup?

Also, as a side note, we occasionally will put a taste of a piece of fruit on our DD's lips (just rub it on the outside of her lips), so she can taste it. Is that bad? Just curious.
    Mama to baby Sunshine, May 14, 2009
    Successfully BFed until DD was 14 months old (while I was pregnant) and she decided she didn't like the taste of the milk anymore.

New mama to my Earth baby boy, January 31, 2011. Going for at least another 14 months or more!

Default Re: What is a "cup"?

its great that you're waiting until 6 months before starting solids Their little tummies just aren't mature enough for solids before that point. As for a "cup" that's whatever you want it to be. Sippy/straw cup - whatever. But there's no rush. Breastmilk is enough for your baby until at least six months, and can sustain your baby until a year.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet