Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing every hour if not more...

Default Nursing every hour if not more...

I'm still having issues with the amount my 11 day old DD is nursing. She is literally on the breast once an hour if not more than once an hour for at least 20 min. but more often its closer to 30 or even 40 min.. When she finally seems done i hold her for while so she can go into a deeper sleep, but as soon as i try to put her down she wakes and cries to nurse again. my boobs need a break!

Default Re: Nursing every hour if not more...

does DD seem hungry or just comfort nursing? Have you tried a pacifier? Will DD sleep as long as being held or only on breast. Sorry I only have questions and no helpful answer but I sure someone here will help

does DD seem hungry or just comfort nursing?
    i can't really tell. she def. makes the hungry face alot.

Have you tried a pacifier?
    i'm afraid its too early for her to suck on a paci.

Will DD sleep as long as being held or only on breast.
    She will often sleep when held, but sometimes she wont sleep for hours just nurse, nurse, nurse.

Sorry I only have questions and no helpful answer but I sure someone here will help

Thanks! kt

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/frequent-nursing.html

These links have a ton of useful information about nursing a newborn and frequent nursing.

I can tell you, and I know to be true from many, many testimonials of other moms, the first few weeks of breastfeeding are almost always the most difficult and demanding. Good for you for making the choice to give your baby the best! Know that her demands will almost certainly slow down with time.
    Hang in there! And congrats on the new baby!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

DON'T give your 11 day a paci! You run the risk of nipple confusion!
    Two things...1st just mentally prepare if you haven't already for the fact that your are going to spend the MAJORITY of your awake time feeding your baby for at least the 1st 6weeks. It's important to set up an "staion or island" designed so you can do this all day. Living room couch or bed is the best place. You want the nursing pillow or pillows you are going to be using, the phones, the remotes and a huge bottle of water and some snacks. Prepare to stay in your pjs. Prepare to nod off sitting up. DON'T worry about the house work. Make sure that anyone who's there to help, knows that help comes in the form of diaper changes, or making food for the Mama. That's what DH can do for you when home (as well as the dishes if they're bothering him) and if you are even allowing people over, and they say "can we bring anything/" say "yes. a meal that we can pop in the oven would be soooo helpful!" I spent the weekend supporting my cousin who just gave birth to TWINS. Her litlle girl is up evey hour to eat as well. She's doesn't do ANYTHING but feed, change diapers and eat (and shower but that's totally optional. My son is 8months old and if I shower more than twice a week it's a luxury). So if you just accept it and know that it's NORMAL, that your baby is getting enough and don't doubt your abilities you'll be fine.
    2nd thing: depending on how big your baby is she either may need to eat every hour because that's all her stomach will hold....(My cousins baby is only 5lbs) or Your baby may be high needs. A high needs infant NEEDS to with thier mother or held by someone to feel ok. If this is the case a wrap or sling will end up being the answer you need to walk around or get things done. AT some point!! But 11 days into it just take the time that is still need to establish a good nursiing relationship as well as begin regulating supply. Your doing so much more than feeding your baby right now...your showing her that
    she can count on you to meet her needs. At eleven days old she doesn't know exactly what they all are....just that she nedds to be with you/on you to have them taken care of! Good luck and Congratulations!

I completely agree with everything that DJSMom said. The "fourth trimester" can try your patience, but you'll have a much easier time if you just surrender yourself to your baby and enjoy this special time with her. You will be amazed by how much she changes over the next few months, and by how quickly the time has gone by. Some of my fondest memories are of the days when my first son and I would nurse in the rocking chair until we both fell asleep, then wake up and nurse some more. At the time it seemed like I'd never get anything done ever again and that I would be doomed to a messy home and rushed meals (or granola bars!) forever, but it does get sane again - just a different kind of sane!

My new son is also high-needs, but, sadly, with a preschooler on the loose this time as well, I can't spend the day camped out nursing the new guy - that's why the sling has been a lifesaver!

Congratulations - enjoy your precious daughter!

(On a side note, it's good to know I'm not the only one showering just twice a week! )

Congratulations on your LO! If your anything like me no one told me that BF in the beginning would be as demanding and exhausting as it was. My DS was much like your LO. He nursed hourly, around the clock for the first several weeks. What saved me was to set up an island of "needs" around me with in reach: TV remote, laptop, phone, water, snacks, boppy.... DH kept me well fed and took the baby long enough to pee or take a shower and then it was back to nursing!

IT DOES GET BETTER!!!!! Just keep nursing on demand to build your supply and I would strongly reccommend that you DO NOT give your LO a pacifier this early! If it's something that you choose to do in a few more weeks, fine, but not now.

Hang in there!

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001