Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sudden drop?

Default Sudden drop?

Yesterday morning, my daughter only took one side - I was ultra full because she slept 9.5 hours. OUt of the unused side I got a good 4.5 ounces very quickly. We nursed as usual all day, but in the evening (about 9:30) she kept fussing, and I could feel that there was not much in there. We finally gave her a couple of ounces of what had been expressed that morning, and between that and some frantic attempts at suckling she was satisfied. I had the same amount of sucking action as normal, just not much coming out.

This morning we wake up after her long sleep, and my breasts feel deflated rather than full. She took one side only again and was satisfied, so I went to pump and after twenty minutes only got an ounce out of the unused side.... What would make your supply drop so drastically so quickly?? I can't think of anything I might have done yesterday.... I DID have some thyme in my dinner (half a tablespoon to a gallon of tomatos), I had read that could inhibit milk production but I thought that was only in quantity.... I am not having my period, I don't know what else could make you have a big dip like that....

Default Re: Sudden drop?

How old is your baby? How are her diapers looking? As long as she's still giving you enough wets/poops she is getting enough milk. Your milk could just be regulating resulting in the less full feeling boobs, she could be having a growth spurt resulting in increased feeds/fussiness at night, or any number of things. I wouldn't worry for one second about eating the thyme! If you let us know how old she is we might be able to offer some more suggestions! What ever her age, it's normal to have decreased output in the evenings.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

She is almost 3 months. diapers have been in range, only thing off was yesterday morning she wasnt very wet, esp considering she had slept 8.5 hours. the disposable pad wasn't soaked through, just a bit wet.

The evening drop didn't bother me so much until seeing how low I was still in the morning, that was scary...I'm drinking Yogi "Nursing Tea" today to see if that helps... I was drinking it for a while, but everything was running smoothly so I haven't used it in a few weeks.

At that age I think it would be safe to assume that your supply is just regulating - or - the feeling of not having enough may be related to a possible growth spurt, in which case baby will feed more and be more fussy for up to a few days and then your supply will catch up with demand.

Just keep an eye on those wets, her weight gain, etc and I'm sure everything is fine!

Here are a couple of useful links:

Is your milk supply really low?
    Is my older baby getting enough milk?

Hope that helps! Sounds like you're doing great.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

Thanks for the reassurance... It was just terribly frightening this morning to wake up to what seemed like flaccid breasts. They were seriously deflated compared to normal!! Today she's seemed satisfied, and she is happily asleep now - as a first time mom, it's hard not to freak out occasionally!

Hang in there mama! It sounds like you are doing great. The same thing happened to me when my son started sleeping for longer stretches at night.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )