Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Working/Pumping Mommas and starting solids

Default Working/Pumping Mommas and starting solids

Hi Ladies,

I had a question about starting solids when baby is getting pumped milk during day. I know they say to nurse first before offering solids, and not to replace any nursing sessions with solids during the first few months--but how does this work if the baby is getting bottled breastmilk? I leave 3 5oz. bottles during the day for my son--sometimes he takes all three, sometimes just two, depending on how long his naps are. I nurse first thing in the AM at 6/7ish, when I get home at 4:30pm, before bed at 6pm, and once during the night when he wakes (time varies). I nurse exclusively on my days off (3 days week) every 3 hrs or so.

So, how to introduce solids? I was thinking have having him have a solid meal during one of his bottle times, followed by a smaller bottle, so he was still getting the milk. Or give the bottle first, then the solids? On one hand, it would take the pressure off of having to pump so much during the day to have him take some solids while I'm at work for one of the meals, but I'm afraid to replace the more nutritious breastmilk. And depending on when my MIL gives it, he may not be hungry when I get home to nurse him...

For the working/pumping Mommas...what is your solids/bottle schedule?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Working/Pumping Mommas and starting solids

My babysitter gives Lilah her bottle (but she'll only eat 1 to 2 ounces from it at a time) and then 30 minutes later she'll give her solids. Then 30 minutes later she'll try to get her to drink more from the bottle.

When she's at home with me, sometimes I give her solids before I nurse her, sometimes after, it just depends what we're doing. She nurses about every 2 hours though, so I'm not too worried about the solids replacing a nursing sessionl
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

For a long time we just did solids at home. I don't think I sent any solids with DS to day care until he was around 9 or 9.5 months old.

Then they'd do bottle first and solids later.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

we did it once a day for a while so we would do it around dinner time...and we give the bottle the same amount of times (he has one every 2-3 hrs) and we feed him (really just snacks) in between like an 1 hr after one and 1 hr before the next!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

how old is your LO? i think DD was 7 or 8 months before i sent any solids to DC during the day and it was only 1 or 2 oz of solids after her morning bottle. i always did BM first and then offered solids.

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in