Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how long between new foods?

Default how long between new foods?

how long did you all wait between trying new foods?

Most stuff I read says at LEAST a few days, with 5 days being ideal. At that rate it would take us a loooooooooooong time to get through fruits and veggies. I'm waiting 2 days, oatmeal always at night and some sort of fruit/veggie at lunch with new ones given every 2 days.

BUT, when I went to Dr. Newman's clinic they told me it didn't matter at all. I could give her 3 new foods a day if she wanted (for example) and 3 different ones tomorrow and let her eat until she doesn't want anymore. At the time, starting solids seemed so far away I didn't ask too many questions about it.. but now I wonder what most people do.

TIA!

Default Re: how long between new foods?

I waited 3 days because that's what I was comfortable with. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I remember Gill Rapley's BLW book also says no need to wait, unless of course you have reason to believe your child may have a reaction...ie family allergies, etc. I know it's confusing with some places saying no wait and other saying as long as 7 days! Maybe someone else has some insight.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

in the beginning I waited three days..for the major ones..cereals, 4 (or so) veggies and then 4 (or so) fruits...when he was JUST started out...but now if i see something i think i want to give it to him, I do!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

We waited 3 or 4 days between new foods.

When we added new foods, I prioritized foods that I could start using as ingredients to cook meals instead of just giving DS single foods. And also prioritized things like sources of iron, protein, etc.

And I'm glad we waited - this made it super easy to pinpoint DS food allergies.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

We waited around five days between new foods. At some point, maybe around 9 months or so, when we were doing a lot more finger foods, I would add more than one at a time. But we also had a lot of trouble figuring out which ones were giving her rashes and tummy-aches after that.

It may be old-school of me but when we have another one I'll probably do the five-day wait again. Especially since DD has food allergies, DH has pet allergies and I have hay fever.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.