Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bad luck and some questions

Default Bad luck and some questions

Sorry if this gets too long but I really need to vent. Every time I think it is finally getting better it all goes downhill....
    When dd was a newborn she would fall asleep at the breast after just a few sucks - 10 minutes late she would wake up, suckle some more and fall asleep again - we would go on like this for hours... When I thought we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and she is getting better at bfing she started screaming, pulling, and crying at the breast to the point she would cry even when I hold her. She was diagnosed with reflux, and later with allergy to "something" (I 've been dairy and soy free and she still has blood in her poo..., now I 'm eggs-free too) in my diet. By the time we figured this out she already had a very strong flow preference because of the bottles she was getting when refusing to bf. So now she is bottlefed during the day with EBM and breastfed at night.
    The only thing that I thought was going well was my milk supply and the growing stash of frozen BM in the freezer. Until 2 days ago at least, when I found my bm has excess lipase and dd would not drink it at all. My frozen milk tastes horrible!!!
    So now it seems I need to throw out 3 months worth of frozen milk I just can't stop crying
    And all this while having 0 support from my familly and hearing two words from them everytime I say anything about the bf problems - solids and formula.
    SO now I wonder:
    Have other moms been successful in feeding such frozen milk mixed with cereal/other food? Or is baby still refusing? Is such milk safe for the baby?
    What causes excess lipase? There is little or no information on that - I read most posts about that in LLL forums
    Is scalding the milk in metal pan safe? Also, what is the best way to cool down the milk - room temp. or fridge - before freezing?
    Thanks in advance for any responses!!!!
    Borislava

Default Re: Bad luck and some questions

I know nothing about excess lipase, but maybe if I bump this up, someone will pipe in! Good luck and keep your chin up. Only you know what is right for your baby!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

How did this turn out??
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/l...essedmilk.html Here's a link for some info on lipase and storage. I don't have this problem, but maybe there's some info here that will help.

I can TOTALLY sympathize on the allergies. We've been through testing and of course I'm eating nothing, or so it seems, but there are days when I still see blood in her diapers and she will rash so badly. I thoroughly read labels and I keep a very detailed food journal (who has the time, I know) but that way I can go back. I always say "I haven't had anything that should bother her" but most of the time I will go back and re-read and find something hidden somewhere.

And lastly, on the having to get rid of the frozen milk. I had to do that as well. I can't tell you how mad then sad I was at literally throwing away all my hard work. I just kept pumping and now there's no room in the freezer for big people food.

Hang in there and take a day at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by borislava
    Have other moms been successful in feeding such frozen milk mixed with cereal/other food? Or is baby still refusing? Is such milk safe for the baby?
    What causes excess lipase? There is little or no information on that - I read most posts about that in LLL forums
    Is scalding the milk in metal pan safe? Also, what is the best way to cool down the milk - room temp. or fridge - before freezing?
    Thanks in advance for any responses!!!!
    Borislava
    I can maybe help answer one or two of your questions. I am not 100% sure that I've had excess lipase, but I have had some frozen EBM with a funky smell (not spoiled though), and my DD would not take it in a bottle, but would take it when mixed with cereal or other food. From what I've read it is safe for baby-the problem is only that baby might not take it because of the taste.
    I don't have the answers for your other questions-off the top of my head, though, with the pan question I would make sure the pan you're using is really clean (duh) and probably not use one with a non-stick coating, to avoid any chemical contamination. Also, make sure not to boil the milk.
    I can imagine your frustration!! I remember when my DD's daycare left two of her bottles out several months ago and we had to dump them down the drain. I was very upset.
    HTH a little!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on