Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: water

Default water

Hi,

Just wondering when I can give my baby water to drink? He is now 5 months old. Does it need to be boiled water cooled down or can it be straight from the tap?

Also, as I am breastfeeding, when I start weaning him, can I just use a cup to feed him other drinks rather than a bottle? He hasn't tried a bottle before, so was wondering if I could avoid the bottle all together.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Default Re: water

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mintmallow View Post
    Hi,

Just wondering when I can give my baby water to drink? He is now 5 months old. Does it need to be boiled water cooled down or can it be straight from the tap?

Also, as I am breastfeeding, when I start weaning him, can I just use a cup to feed him other drinks rather than a bottle? He hasn't tried a bottle before, so was wondering if I could avoid the bottle all together.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
    You could start giving your baby water now, not more then a couple ounces a day though because he still needs all the nutrients from breastmilk..he prob won't take more then that anyways if he is not used to it.
    I just use tap water that's been filtered and I either give it to him through a sippy or 'normal' cup.

As for weaning you can definatly avoid the bottle altogether and go straight to a sippy or normal cup.

**Tricia**
    Married to DH since July '07
    Mommy to Logan born 09/10/08

Default Re: water

My understanding is that babies don't need water as long as they are exclusively breastfed, and being fed on demand. If you do give water, it should be in very small amounts, because large amounts of water can throw off the baby's electrolyte balance and make him sick. (I'm not making that up- it's called water intoxication and it can even happen to adults.)

Once you start feeding solids, you can offer water with meals, but probably don't need to until the baby starts eating a lot of solids, and not just a teaspoon or two. My kid barely drank water until she was around a year old and started eating more solid foods.

Yes, many moms skip the bottle altogether and go right to the sippy cup or even an open cup.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"