Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First time using this forum

Default First time using this forum

I can't believe I found this forum. I went to ask.com and it sent me here. I have been pumping exclusively for 4 1/2 months now and it has been by my pure insight I've made it this far. My doctor hasn't been much help, just tells me I am doing a good job. No one in my family has ever bf, so they aren't much help either. I am really sad she won't take the breast. Is it too late? I haven't really tried much lately since I am so disappointed she doesn't like it.

Everyday I fear I will run out of milk and will have to start supplementing. As of now, I have about 20 oz. in the fridge and she drinks about 5 oz each time. When I first started, I had a freezer full and now I stress everyday that I will have to suppplement - which I have another zillion questions. We started on rice cereal and that uses alot of milk as well.

I think I get low because I am overcautious on rewarming, dumping if she didn't drink it all, if I kept it out too long, etc. etc. I resort to the safe side and just dump it if I am not sure.

When I first started pumping, I would fill up the container in 5 mins or so. Sometimes I would grab another and keep going, my husband would tease me and ask if I needed a bucket. As of now, I only pump 10 mins and my flow stops, I can still get about 10-12 oz each time. Will it keep getting lower and lower? Can I maintain her growing demand?

Sorry for so many questions, but its been pretty lonely without anyone to bounce my questions around. Thanks for your help!

Default Re: First time using this forum

Hi mama, you have been doing a great job so far! I don't exclusively pump, but I pump for work and maybe I can help with a few of your questions. And there are several moms around here who have EPed and can give you some btdt advice.

If you are giving rice cereal, you can use water to make it if it's sucking off your supply. But she also really doesn't need cereal yet, unless there is a medical reason you started early. The AAP recommends starting solids at 6 months. So depending on your preference, you don't have to use your milk to make the cereal.

Breast milk is OK for 8 hours at room temperature. I think that time goes down once it's been heated. My husband used to warm a bottle and if it didn't all get drunk he'd give it another 4 hours before he'd toss it. Usually if it doesn't smell or taste bad it's fine to give. Baby will usually let you know if there is something wrong with the milk. Or you could separate the milk into smaller quantities so you are only warming maybe 2 oz at a time. That way if you have to toss an uneaten bottle, you aren't wasting much.

Keep in mind that breastmilk isn't like formula. After the first few months they will even out the amount they take in, it doesn't keep increasing. You milk gets more concentrated, so they don't need to drink more and more of it. Your body's response to the pump may change over time, though, so it is a good idea to pay attention to drops in your pumping output.

If you are only pumping for 10 minutes at a time, you could probably go a few more minutes to get a second let down and get a few more ounces per session. Does your pump have a let down button? Or can you adjust the speed? If you turn the speed up and let it go really fast for a few minutes after the initial flow stops that should stimulate another let down. You may have to let it go fast for a minute or two and then once the flow starts again you can turn the speed down.

And then there are also things you can do to increase your supply, like eating oatmeal or taking herbal supplements. Fenugreek, mother's milk tea, there are several options.

Keep up the great work! You are doing a wonderful thing for your child!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Welcome!

The PP gave you great advice (as she always does).

I am really sad she won't take the breast. Is it too late? I haven't really tried much lately since I am so disappointed she doesn't like it.
    I'm sorry your baby didn't take to the breast! It may be too late- or it may not be too late. You don't know unless you try, right? Here are some things that may help get your baby back to the breast:
    - Do lots and lots and LOTS of skin-to-skin contact
    - If you're not co-sleeping, you may want to start, as many babies who will not take the breast during the day will take it when they are relaxed and too sleepy to fight
    - See a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC (International Board-Certified Lactation Consultant).
    - Attend a LLL meeting- at the very least you will meet some like-minded and supportive moms
    - Make bottle-feeding as much like breastfeeding as possible: when it's time to bottle-feed, open you shirt, cuddle your baby close to your bare breast, and tickle her lips with the bottle nipple until she opens wide. Don't let her learn sloppy latch habits from getting a bottle slipped into a half-open mouth. Pause the feeding after every oz so that your baby gets used to the natural ebb-and-flow rhythm of breastfeeding. Use the slowest-flow bottle nipples available.
    - When attempting to latch the baby on, try expressing a few drops of milk onto the nipple. The taste of immediate gratification may encourage the baby to suck longer.
    - If baby won't take the breast when she's hungry, try feeding her a bit by bottle and then switching to the breast. Some babies latch better when hungry, some when they are not.
    - Consider using a supplemental nursing system- your LC can help you with it. It allows the baby to feed simultaneously from a tube and from the breast, so that she can practice her nursing while also being fed.

When I first started pumping, I would fill up the container in 5 mins or so. Sometimes I would grab another and keep going, my husband would tease me and ask if I needed a bucket. As of now, I only pump 10 mins and my flow stops, I can still get about 10-12 oz each time. Will it keep getting lower and lower? Can I maintain her growing demand?
    It's normal for your supply to decrease a bit after you have been nursing for a while- it's all part of meeting the baby's needs more exactly. But if you feel like your supply is decreasing to the point where you need to increase it, there are some steps you can take, including:
    - Check your pump and pump motor. They do wear down!
    - Purchase or rent a better pump.
    - Pump more frequently and for longer times. The more often you empty the breast, the more milk you will make. No need to wait for the breast to "fill up".
    - Herbs. Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle, and Oatmeal are all good for milk supply.
    - Drugs. Reglan and Domperidone are anti-nausea drugs that can increase milk as a side-effect. Talk to your child's pediatrician or your midwife or obstetrician before taking them- they both have additional side-effects and are not for everyone.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wimema View Post
    I am really sad she won't take the breast. Is it too late? I haven't really tried much lately since I am so disappointed she doesn't like it.
    I totally missed this part of your post!! mommal adressed it, but here's a link with more info about getting baby back to the breast.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

First of all - you are doing SO well!!!! EP'ing is jolly hard work and so many Mums give up a LOT sooner than you do so do feel proud of yourself.

Secondly - I have to confess that I used to dump feeds of ebm straight after the feed if my LO didn't seem interested. Then I realised that if it is less than an hour or so after the initial feel it should be fine - after all cow's milk can stand out of the fridge for a while so EBM should be able to too.

Thirdly - I find it is taking longer to pump now my LO is more than 4 months. Every couple of weeks I take a day to power pump - ie every 3 hours a strict 25 minute session (I take heaps longer than you - always have) and ignore the actual volume coming out. I then find that I have stronger let downs and better flow for at least 10 days afterwards and then have to do it again. How often are you pumping (I am down to 5 per day, first at 7am last one at midnight)? Is there time to fit another session in to up your supply. Otherwise taking some sort of herbal supplement would be a good idea to try and boost supply. Anyway before I ramble on too much I would just say that you are doing brilliantly and be proud of your achievements - I am sure you will be able to sort something out

Excellent advice already. Just wanted to say re the dumping milk if it's not been used. I used to do that until I discovered it was ok to re-use the EBM at next feed. Just put it back in the fridge. I always hated pouring the EBM down the drain, so was SO pleased when I found out I didn't have to. And I also felt so relieved when I found out after talking to a lactation consultant, that the volume of milk a baby needs at 6 weeks old is the same volume they need at 6 months old. I had this vision of it needing to increase as they got older, but it doesn't. They just get more efficient at using the milk they're drinking.

You're doing a great job, and you're getting great advice!
    Alison, mummy to Erin
    Born @ 30 weeks, 2nd July 2008, 3lb 11oz, fully breastfed

cloth nappy wearing bub.

Thank you ladies for your time and advice. I have a lot to consider as I keep making this work for us. One main goal is to get her to the breast. I tried today and she actually latched for a minute or so. I am hopeful. I will also try the other resources mentioned. Thanks!

I do have one other question after I;ve been reading around here, which is.... what is to be concerned with the milk itself, fore and hind <I think> people were talking about "the cream of the milk" ? Do I need to worry about that?

One main goal is to get her to the breast. I tried today and she actually latched for a minute or so. I am hopeful.
    Yay! So glad your baby latched!

I do have one other question after I;ve been reading around here, which is.... what is to be concerned with the milk itself, fore and hind <I think> people were talking about "the cream of the milk" ? Do I need to worry about that?
    As long as your baby is gaining weight, seems content and not unduly gassy, and isn't having consistently greenish and watery stools, then the foremilk/hindmilk balance of your milk isn't something you really need to worry about, since everything is okay.

The foremilk/hindmilk thing is shorthand for describing how milk changes over the course of a feeding/pumping session. Foremilk is the more watery milk that comes out at the beginning of a session. As the session goes on, the milk gradually becomes less watery and more creamy- that's what people call the hindmilk. But there isn't a "switch" from one type of milk to the other.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

GREAT advice so far...I (mostly) exclusively pumped for both my kids. (for some reason they only breastfed/breastfeed in the middle of the night-which I guess is better than nothing..and saves me from making a bottle at 4 am..heehee)

I use left over milk all the time..I just change/d the nipple so I feel better about it..I never put it back in fridge .. bec the next feed is never more than 2-3 hrs later and I just add fresh milk to it to equal a full bottle and I am not heating/reheating/heating so many times. I usually get two bottles out when I feed..one for now and one for the next feed...so it starts to warm up naturally...again bec as others said it is good for about 6hrs out of the fridge.

All my formula friends are shocked that I dont up the amt of breastmilk...I feel like I have to explain A LOT that it doesnt work like formula...Just FYI I pumped with my 1st til she was 1 year old and never gave more than 5 oz in a bottle. My 7 mo old gets 4 oz right now every 2-3 hrs!

When I pump I have to pump 20 min...bec that is when I get a second letdown and it usually gives me an additional ounce. I also massage the breasts the whole 20 min (5 min on each back and forth) I feel like this gives me a lot more in the output.

On average I get 4 oz in a pumping session (2 oz in each breast) But more first in the morning and my last around 11pm. and i pump prob about 5 times a day!

My supply fluctuates depending on the day, time, my daily diet, my water intake, if I am going to get my period..so dont worry if one day you get significant less...it might be significantly more the next day...When it does get lower I take fenugreek pills (3 pills 3 times a day) and I find that it helps a lot. so does a lot of water!

Sorry this got so long...but I hope some of this helps...
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!