Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: "What to Expect.." book and its comments on iron

Question "What to Expect.." book and its comments on iron

Ah the wisdom of all of these childrearing books... This morning in the "What to Expect the First Year" book I was reading about the age six months and it said that breastfed babies six months and older "need rice cereal in order to get enough iron". Granted, I am giving 6-month old DS one feeding of solids per day, and sometimes that meal is cereal. But do I need to be concerned about how much iron DS is getting??
    Mommy to William, 4/29/09, 7 lbs 13 oz, 21 inches.
    Mommy to Evan, 3/18/06. 7 lbs 3 oz, 21 1/4 inches.
    Nursed both boys to 14 months
    Birth Doula
    Wisconsin!

Default Re: "What to Expect.." book and its comments on iron

Nope! And if you are you can just have the pedi check his iron levels at his next apt. My ds is 8.5 mo and still ebf...no solids or iron supplements whatsoever! And he's definitely a happy healthy little boy Best of luck to you.

Those books give absolutely BAD bf advice; don't trust anything they say.

I hate those books, I call them the "What to worry about this month" books. They seem to be a laundry list of what ifs that serve to get me worked up or freaked out!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

New research shows that bf babies don't need additional iron because the iron in breastmilk is so easily absorbed. The breastmilk proteins responsible for delivering the iron to your baby can become "saturated" by the excess iron in fortified cereal, meaning that they actually do their job less effectively and the amount of iron your baby receives from your breastmilk reduces as a result. Once you begin to feed your baby solid foods on a regular basis, then you need to make sure that his diet includes plenty of iron-rich foods.