Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How soon to start to achieve full supply?

Default How soon to start to achieve full supply?

Hello ladies!

My dh & I will be pursuing a surrogate journey to create our family. We've matched independently with an amazing woman and we plan to get pregnant next July (seems like forever!). I'm very blessed to have such a long time to prepare for this pregnancy because inducing lactation is extremely important to me. It's also very important to me to do whatever I possibly can to produce as close to a full supply for my baby as possible.

I'm 26, but I'm in menopause because I've had a complete hysterectomy when I was 22. I've read the ask lenore menopause protocol and I understand it, but it doesn't really describe how long each step will take. It says I should be on the bc & domp for "at least" 60 days. How long is best? And once I stop that & start pumping...how long should I expect to pump before I am reaching my full potential? Is there a point in which my supply won't increase but will level off?

We're trying to plan our lives around this surrogacy and I wasn't sure at what point I would begin the protocol. Thanks for your help, I'm excited to have this forum as I pursue this dream.

Default Re: How soon to start to achieve full supply?

Welcome! It's great that you're already planning to nurse, and thinking about how to go about it. I think you will find a supportive community here.

how long should I expect to pump before I am reaching my full potential? Is there a point in which my supply won't increase but will level off?
    I strongly suspect that the answer to the first question is different for every woman. As to the second question, there probably is a maximum level of output that a given woman can achieve- but again, that maximum will be different for every woman. There are moms with undersupply problems who max out at a few oz per day, and moms with the opposite problem who are pumping dozens of oz per day.

I wish I had some more specific information for you, but your questions are outside my familiarity. Have you contacted a lactation consultant, preferably one who is an IBCLC? She (or he, but it's almost always a she) can help you with the specifics- like helping you find the right doc to prescribe the dom and BC pills, and getting you the best possible pump.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I wish I had some more specific information for you, but your questions are outside my familiarity. Have you contacted a lactation consultant, preferably one who is an IBCLC?

What is an IBCLC?

I haven't contacted a lactation consultant. How do I go about finding one?

What is an IBCLC?
    International Board-Certified Lactation Consultant. They tend to have the best training.

I haven't contacted a lactation consultant. How do I go about finding one?
    Start with the phone book. If you can't find one in the Yellow Pages, call your local LLL (there's a directory or a link for local LLLs on this website somewhere), because they will know who is good and who isn't. Your local hospitals and/or pediatricians may also know of or employ LCs- but be aware that not all LCs are IBCLCs. Some LCs are just L&D nurses who took a short course in breastfeeding- they are likely to know how to help a new mom latch her baby on to the breast but may not have the more advanced knowledge which you probably require.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you, I will do so.