Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going back to work and breastfeeding concerns

Question Going back to work and breastfeeding concerns

This is my first post ever and I would appreciate any feedback I can get. I must say that after the first two weeks breastfeeding is the most wonderful experience in the world. I currently have two problems though. My first is that my 11 1/2 wk son is refusing to take a bottle and I go back to work in 2 weeks. We have been working with him for 3 weeks and it is not going well. He now starts batting at the bottle, pushing it away most times when he sees it. I am so extremely worried right now. I work about 25 miles from home and there is no way I can go home for lunch at this point. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
    My second issue is that the past 4 days has not been nursing well during the day. He will eat for about 15 minutes and completely drain my one breast when he wakes up at 5am and then again at 7:30ish. After that though he will only eat for about 5 minutes max and then he pulls off and starts smiling and "talking" to me. I have tried not to make eye contact with him but he starts making more noise trying to get my attention and he is so cute and adorable that I can not ignore him for more than a few seconds. The problem is that he will not go back on. The first day I tried working with him to take it and even tried swithing sides but this does not work. He gets realy fussy so I just sit and talk and play with him. My concern is though that he is not getting enough milk. 5 minutes every hour or two I would think is not enough. He does nurse for about 30 minutes around 8:30 pm and then goes to sleep for 7-10 hours. Has anyone ever experienced this? My mom breastfed all six of us and after talking to other friends that have breastfed none ever experienced this so I do not know what to do since this does not appear to be normal ... Thanks!!

Default Re: Going back to work and breastfeeding concerns

Maria,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your son! There are other ways, besides bottles, for your baby to take breastmilk when separated from you. Here is a non-LLL resource on bottlefeeding and other methods:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html

The info on how to bottlefeed a breastfed baby is really great.

Someone besides you should be offering the bottle or cup, and it is better if you aren't in the room. If you are nearby your son will hold out for getting milk straight from the source.

And in regards to your second question, sometimes babies get so excited about everything they don't spend much time at the breast. I think my son started getting pretty active around 3 months as well. If he is acting happy most of the time, has plenty of wet diapers and is meeting his milestones you don't need to worry and can just marvel at his latest crazy breastfeeding behavior.

Good luck!

Hi Maria, Welcome to the forum! I live in the Tampa Bay area too!

First - Is it you that is trying to feed your LO from a bottle? If not, are you in the room? My DS will not take a bottle from me nor wil he from DH if I'm close by. He knows I'm the better source. But he has had no problem taking a bottle from DH when I'm at work.

You could also try starting your LO on a sippy cup instead of bottle. Many people have success with that when the bottle is refused.

Second - It is very common for babies your age to start getting distracted by their environment when they are nursing. I worn you, this is only the beginning and you will probably struggle with this for many months! Some things you can try are nursing in a dark, quiet room, wear a nursing necklace, hold his free hand and wave it gently and avoid eye contact. Does he have several wet diapers a day? Is he still gaining well? If so, I would not worry about him not getting enough. Your LO is no doubt a very efficient feeder and is probably getting enough in those 5 min sessions. I would also expect that he would be waking more at night if he was hungry. I might also warn you that he may go through his 3 mos growth spurt soon and be nursing more often and waking more at night. Enjoy the nights while they last!

HTH
    Last edited by luke's mom; September 12th, 2006 at 05:17 AM.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

I'm no help to you with the bottles. We've tried everything and my LO still won't take one. I've been back to work for 3 weeks now and she just waits it out for 5 hours! I was very worried about it because I thought she would be so hungry and cry the whole time, but she doesn't. She just waits it out. So now I am not so stressed about it. I figure if she's okay with it, then I'm okay too. We are going to start trying her with a sippy cup now instead.

As for the 5 minute nursing sessions, I have noticed that my LO recently has gotten pretty fast at nursing IF she's awake. If she's sleepy or asleep, she'll stay latched forever still. I think she's just gotten to be more efficient when she's awake. She's 3.5 months now.

Good luck!
    -Alicia
    Mommy to Cadence (5/19/06) and Tessa (4/25/09)

Thank you all for your help. The website is really helpful and I am going to read up more on the sippy cup option. Hopefully this will work, if not the dropper looks like the best option. I don't know if he will hold out for 9 hours - that is such a long time. I am really worried he is going to cry alot. I am thinking about looking for a job closer to home, but I like my job as an Adoption Supervisor and the flexibility that I have I will find no where else. What I long though more than anything is to stay at home with my baby, hopefully one day in the future ...
    In regards to the 5 minute sessions and wet diapers. He had 6 wet diapers today and 2 bm. He used to have more bm but over the past couple of days it has decreased to 2 or 3 a day. So hopefully he is just becoming more efficient.
    Thanks again everyone! I was reading some of the other posts and it is nice to know there are others out there that have the same problems and concerns.