Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Best time to pump/how long to increase supply

Default Best time to pump/how long to increase supply

When should I pump if I want to increase supply? Is there a best time of day? For how many minutes?

Default Re: Best time to pump/how long to increase supply

Your supply is the most plentiful in the morning, so ~45 minutes after the first morning feeding is a great time to pump. If you pump at (approximately) the same time every day, your body will eventually start making more milk for that "feeding". You can speed the process by pumping for 5 minutes after your milk stops flowing; that tells your body that the "baby" is still "hungry", and it will make more the next time around.

It will do this at any time of day, however, mornings are the easiest time to add a session if you're trying to build up a stash (because your body responds to it the quickest at that time).

!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Did you have any problems with there not being enough milk for your baby's next feeding if you pumped after a feeding? I bf about every 2 hours or more often during the day, and worry the time in between is not long enough to fill my breasts if I've pumped.

What do you do with lo while you're pumping?

For pumpings after a feeding, can I take 5-10 minutes to get lo situated and pump set up, or am I supposed to start pumping as soon as lo detaches?

(Pumping on one side only is not an option, as one of my breasts is a major underperformer, and yields about one third of the other, not enough by itself to feed baby.)

(I'm not really concerned with building a stash, just with increasing supply.)

How do you pump while holding an infant? When I put mine down to pump, he screams. if I hold him, he tries to detach all the pumping gadgets.
    Mom to:
    Johann, Born June 21, 2009 8lb, 7oz & 22in nursed until 2 years old
    Lydia, Born March 30, 2013 9lb, 5.6oz & 21.75 inches

Nursed through hypothryroidism, IGT, and a SNS both times around