Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thinner milk?

Default Thinner milk?

Hi

I EP and my LO is now consistently sleeping through the night so I have decided to bite the bullet and see where it took me.

Overall supply is fine - maybe 180ml a day down from previously but still WAY over what is actually needed so no problems :-D

My issue is that, now I am down to 5 pumping sessions each 4 hours, I have a LOT less cream in the milk - it is also white rather than yellowish. I guess I am storing a backlog so there is proportionally more foremilk: hindmilk?
    I am pumping for about 30 mins each time atm so would expect to be seeing more cream than I currently am - should I revert to 6 pumps per day or stick at the 5 and hope the proportions improve so LO is not starved??

Default Re: Thinner milk?

How old is your baby? It's normal for milk to change color from yellowish to white or bluish-white as the changeover from colostrum to a milk-colostrum blend to mature milk becomes complete.

When you eliminate a pumping or nursing session, it's normal to see a higher proportion of watery foremilk for a while, as your body adjusts to producing somewhat less milk than before. What happens if you leave the milk in the fridge for a while- do you see a layer of cream forming on the top of the bottle?

If you continue to see what you consider to be too much foremilk in the bottles, or your baby seems extra gassy and fussy, has green poops, or is not gaining weight as well, I would definitely consider going back to 6 sessions per day.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

LO is 5 months now and I have had about 30% cream up until the change to 5 pumps per day. Even left overnight the cream proportions are minute (I am still producing the same amounts give or take 100 ml that I was producing with 8 sessions a day) in comparison - maybe 15% at most.

My main concern is that LO seems HUNGRY even after a 200ml feed - I will I think go back to 6 sessions per day and hope that the fat returns.

Thanks for your input - much appreciated.

I don't understand, how much "cream" should you see on a chilled bottle?

well I imagine it varies from woman to woman - my point is that the amount of cream has reduced to the point where my baby is constantly hungry, even with taking a litre of milk each day. I even got to the point hwere I skimmed the top off 3 bottles of 150ml so there was a decent amount for one feed (instead of 3) and that satisfied him to the point of dropping off to sleep for an hour during the day - something he hasn't done since the cream dropped away