Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how much to pump ? 1st business trip out of town

Default how much to pump ? 1st business trip out of town

My LO will be 5 months in two weeks and next month I'll be taking my first business trip since she was born. I'll be gone about 1 and 1/2 days, so how do I calculate how many ounces to leave for her? I've been feeding on demand since birth and have no idea how much she eats at each feeding....

Thanks!

Default Re: how much to pump ? 1st business trip out of town

I'd look at this site, then leave 2-3 extra bottles in the freezer just in case. !

Have you thought about how to store your milk while traveling? (If you're planning on pumping & saving, or even considering it.) There was a great thread a little while back about how to do this; I'll dig it up if you like.

ETA: Here's one, in case you want it. I have always found that hotels are really nice about providing minifridges upon request.
    Last edited by @llli*imma2nonstopaa; August 4th, 2009 at 07:07 PM.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Thanks for this info. I'll be pumping while away for those 2 days and am flying. I know from the TSA website I can take the milk onboard w/ me if I have a baby w/ me, but do you think they'll let me still do that if I don't have the baby? I'd hate to thow the milk away and also don't have time to do the MilkShare requirements since it's such a fast visit and I'm swamped w/ work and mothering until then.

I believe that since it's been reclassified as a "medical food" you can; I never had any problems. I played it safe by putting it in a bag I could've gone back and checked if I'd had to (and dressing nicely - have you noticed the TSA people treat you better if you look "businessy" rather than "vacationy"?).
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kellynewmom View Post
    Thanks for this info. I'll be pumping while away for those 2 days and am flying. I know from the TSA website I can take the milk onboard w/ me if I have a baby w/ me, but do you think they'll let me still do that if I don't have the baby? I'd hate to thow the milk away and also don't have time to do the MilkShare requirements since it's such a fast visit and I'm swamped w/ work and mothering until then.
    You can absolutely bring breastmilk on board with you, even if you have no baby with you. I traveled back in early February and brought the milk back with me and had NO issues whatsoever. I carried the unfrozen milk in a small cooler, with one of those blue freezie things to keep it cold. Actually, I used the little black cooler and freezie thing that came with my Medela pump, and it all worked out very nicely.

Here is what the TSA agents did... When I walked up, I told them right away that I had breastmilk I needed to carry on board. They did x-ray my cooler first. Then I had to open each container of milk so they could test it for explosives. The TSA agents did NOT touch the containers or dip ANYTHING into the containers, simply held a little test strip ABOVE the container of milk, while I held the container. Easy peasy. One of my girlfriends recently brought milk back with her from a business trip and they did not even test it for explosives, just x-rayed her cooler and sent her on her way.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I never had mine tested for explosives, they just x-rayed the cooler. Make sure it's not foil-lined!