Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: super strong let-down/what age can they handle it?

Default Re: super strong let-down/what age can they handle it?

My little one is almost 4 months now, and she's been dealing really well with my forceful letdown for about a month or so. Sometimes when it goes really crazy she'll pull off and choke a little, trying to give me the stinkeye, but having trouble doing so while being squirted in the face. I always feel terrible when that happens, but she seems to be pretty tolerant of it all these days.

She's also recently learned to "slurp" at the breast like it's a drinking fountain when my letdown is too much for her, which allows her to get her milk, but not augment the flow by sucking. I know it's not "proper" feeding, but I let her do it because it works for her and other than being a little messy, it's not bothering me at all.

well here I am at the magic 3 month mark, and it's not any better yet He still arches away and screams if I even put him near the boob. He hates to nurse b/o my strong flow. I have to rock him forever before latching him on everytime. I was able to feed him in the sling a few times, but now he is even rejecting that, and screaming. Please tell me he will one day take to nursing. I am feeling so sad about it. He does nurse okay at night, but I would love to get to a point where I can feed him anywhere. Anyone else take longer than 3 months to get there?

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

It took over four months for us.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    It took over four months for us.
    and then she started happily nursing? Was she rejecting every time too? It's hard not to feel so bummed about it.

Kathryn,
    born on 11/2/2006

born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

have you treated for reflux?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kathrynk View Post
    and then she started happily nursing? Was she rejecting every time too? It's hard not to feel so bummed about it.
    It wasn't a light switch that turned. It was gradual. Every day a little better.

She fought every feeding and wouldn't wake at night. Her weight slowed after three weeks pp. At three months I gave up trying to rouse her at night and started cosleeping. And she started nursing well and night. Then mornings got a little better, then afternoon, then evening. We still have to nurse lying down or in the sling, but she stopped resisting so much and grew to handle and appreciate the flow.

But at three months we were still very much in the middle of breast refusal. Due to her weight gain problems (only 2.4 oz a week from weeks 3-9), I had no choice but to pump and bottlefeed during the day if I couldn't get her to latch and then wean off bottles, which I did at four months.

She is now a comfort nurser and nurses every two hours at least around the clock. It makes me we have come so far.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    have you treated for reflux?
    Yes, we tried reflux meds in the beginning when he was screaming. Turns out he was screaming because he was gulping a ton of air (shallow latch and strong letdown). He was super gassy. I could be wrong, but I really don't think it's reflux...it is def. the strong letdown, and fear of the letdown. People mention taking him off and spraying the letdown out. I can't do that, he will NOT latch back on. He gets mad and arches away. When I finally get him on, I try to keep him on.

M...can you nurse her now when you are out and about, or do you have to be lying down or have her in the sling?

Kathryn,
    born on 11/2/2006

born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

I just researched silent reflux again...he does have some of the sx's...but could also be the same sx's of OALD....so Frustrating!!! What do you think?

I bolded the ones that Jonah exhibits...

• poor sleeping
    • arching their back during or after eating*
    • frequent and violent hiccups
    • frequent ear infections
    refusing food despite being hungry or the opposite wanting to eat all the time for comfort
    • excessive drooling....since 2 months he has been soooooooo drooly
    • sinus infections
    gagging and choking
    • chronic hoarse voice
    • apnea
    • respiratory problems such as pneumonia, bronchitis, wheezing, and asthma
    gagging themselves with their fist/fingers...he does this ALL THE TIME!!! Thought he was teething...
    • poor weight gain, weight loss, failure to thrive or the opposite with excessive weight gain if they are comfort feeders
    • bad breath
    food/oral aversions
    neck arching (Sandifer's Syndrome)....does this all the time too.
    curdled spit-up (he just started with this)

Kathryn,
    born on 11/2/2006

born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

E had silent reflux as well. I could hear her wheeze and gurgle and acid sloshing around. She started spitting up in earnest instead of silent at about 6 months. We stopped reflux meds by seven months. She still has reflux some days. Like today, she has spit up several times and had hiccups all day. But it's better too.

As for nursing out an about. It got to be less of a problem due to reflux or OALD and more a matter of distraction. She wouldn't nap or eat while out unless I took the distractions away. At Six Flags in July I was able to nurse 1-2 minutes at a time out of the sling and that's the max even now.

But in the last couple of weeks she won't let me wear her anywhere. Last week we had a long podiatrist procedure for K during E's naptime and she just was miserable wanting to nurse and sleep. She let me nurse her to sleep standing and holding her cradle style.

I am still managing her, but it's in part due to her personality. She's a piece of work - she's throwing tantrums like a 2 year old this week and knows how to color on paper! She climbs on furniture too. the product of an environment surrounded by big sisters she wants to emulate.

N had silent reflux. That's what it sounded like to me when you were describing J's symptoms initially. I also had OALD/OS which I was able to correct with block feeding. Zantac is pretty mild, and it takes a least one week to start to work. Maybe talk to your doc about trying it for 30 days and see if you see a difference?

N is nearly 18 months old and STILL has silent reflux. I don't know what I would have done if I didn't try the zantac. It was hard at first, because when we introduced the zantac he got worse before he got better, but after that initial week we found a big improvement.

I know you're having a hard time with this
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet