Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: super strong let-down/what age can they handle it?

Default super strong let-down/what age can they handle it?

With Joshua I had OALD and oversupply. I had to blockfeed, and eventually my supply was manageable.

Right now Jonah nurses on one side per feeding (always has). I def. have too much foremilk this time, and a forceful let-down. He is very nervous at the breast, swallows air, etc. We are also dealing with a poor latch (some of which is because he is nervous about latching on fully and getting sprayed). I can only nurse him when he is just waking up, otherwise he screams and arches away.
    His poops are always frothy and green. I'm afraid to blockfeed though because my supply seems to go way down in the evenings (from 4pm on). Plus, my breasts always seem soft. There can't be that much milk in there. He gets super fussy, and mad when my milk doesn't letdown right away. I have to rock him until he is almost asleep and then try to get him on. He nurses on both sides in the evening, and never seems content.

Should I still attempt to blockfeed? If not, how much longer will this be an issue (at what age do they get over the strong flow/foremilk tummy cramsp?)

I do nurse him laying back.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Default Re: super strong let-down/what age can they handle it?

I know where you are - I went through all of that.

Can you stimulate your breasts to letdown and then stop spraying before you attempt to latch? I used to do this when DS just did not seem to be handling it well. It worked well for us until he could handle the forceful letdown.

I remember him being 4-5 mo before it really got better and he wouldn't arch away and scream. It was always better when he was tired - I''m sure you know this. It about 3 mo for me when his poops were consistently better and there did not seem to be tummy issues.

I would try NOT blockfeeding if you feel like your breasts are soft and your supply dips way low in the evening. Sounds like the OS is more under control.

Hang in there - it does get so much better!
    Mommy to DS - 12/29/2007 and DD - 4/11/2010
    We are taking tandem nursing day by day

DD was able to handle my super strong letdown a lot better when she was about 2.5 or 3 months old, which is also when a lot of her gassy/fussy/pain issues stopped too.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sentimental.geek View Post

DD was able to handle my super strong letdown a lot better when she was about 2.5 or 3 months old, which is also when a lot of her gassy/fussy/pain issues stopped too.

This was us too. 2.5 or 3 months was also close to the time I just started to lie down to nurse her every time and that made a huge difference too.

I also agree that you probably don't have oversupply now, just forceful letdown. I wouldn't block feed.

You're doing great Kathryn!!. It sounds like you're learning your "dance" with Jonah. Before long, these challenges will be a distant memory.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Seems like it was that magical 3 month mark for us, too. That's when they seem to get it. How old is he now?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Oh, and wrt block feeding--if you don't think its oversupply, I would just follow his cue. Is he throwing up milk after feeding? Let him nurse for a LONG time on one breast, and do compressions on that breast at the end, before switching him to the other side. And maybe the next feeding start on the same breast you started with that time, but then move him to the last breast if he still needs more. Then switch sides. How long does he nurse and how ofteN?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Erin...he is almost 8 weeks, so we are getting there, slowly but surely
    He rarely spits up after feeds, but he is super fussy because he swallows so much air.
    He screams every time he is in the car, the most painful screams. It breaks my heart.
    I can never get all the burps out, and he has the green poops and gas.

I have been nursing on only one side per feeding, but I will try to start him on that same side for the next feeding before giving him the other side...maybe that will help. I think I just make too much foremilk.

During the day he nurses every 1-2 hours. At night he only nurses once or twice...each session lasts maybe 5-10 minutes..he rarely gets a full feeding in because he gets mad and pulls off (from the let down, or from gulping air). I burp him, but then he doesn't want to latch back on. That is why he nurses so frequently during the day.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

We tried to give DS infant probiotic for a month or so. We also practice elimination communication (taking DS straight to the toilet) which enables him to just release all gas when he goes. We hold him in a squating position over the toilet and that helps his bowel movement. I also avoid chocolate.

Lying down would reduce the gravity but DS is now hooked on it and won't nurse in other position. So make sure you also switch position.

What about starting out spraying/expressing into a container to save it, then after a few, putting him on? That way he would be getting more hindmilk
    Mama to JerBear, the rough and tumble kid, 18 months.

All done nursing, all done pumping. Raising a toddler with food aversions and doing my best to deal with three painful conditions!

[QUOTE=@llli*kathrynk;754542] He screams every time he is in the car, the most painful screams. It breaks my heart.

Me too...I hate it...I have tried everything...every product under the sun and every possible scenario...he just screams and screams in the car
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together