Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When do you stop taking measures to increase supply?

Default When do you stop taking measures to increase supply?

And does it mean baby will wean early?

Background:

Emma is 11 mos, lost a lot of weight at first and I almost lost my milk supply by 10 days because she was not nursing effectively (posterior tongue tie). It took about 4 weeks of pumping/supplementing to get her back to exclusively breastfeeding. Since then, I have struggled to maintain a good milk supply, and it got even worse when I started ovulating again. Serious supply dips every month. I starting taking More Milk Plus last week, and have barely noticed an increase this time around. This usually works in just a couple of days for me.

Her weight gain has always been on the low side, but I'm not worried about that, because all of my 4 girls are small. But now, she is not peeing as much. She is not wet most mornings when she wakes, and for about an hour afterwards. We do co-sleep and she nurses at least 2x a night, generally around 2 and then about 5/6. Some nights lots more, of course. She nurses at least every 2 hours during the day, lots of times, hourly. Since she turned 9 mos or so, she only nurses about 5/10 minutes at a time, and seems to be satisfied. She will eat anything I put in front of her, but I try to feed her just 2x a day, then an occasional cracker or puffs or something. She gets a sippy of water with her meals/snacks, and drinks a couple of ounces at a time.

I guess, what's concerning me most is the slowing down of wet diapers (she still poos 2x a day), not seeming as interested in nursing, and the fact that I worked 3 days last week and could only pump 2 oz each time. Oh, and she no longer nurses to sleep, just likes to be rocked. Now I know all of this can be normal, I am a Peer Counselor, and quite knowledgable about BF. But, I'm still concerned.

I think my biggest concern is her weaning early. I can feed her lots of food, but I don't want her to wean. I typically nurse until 3 or so, and that is my goal this time.

Am I concerned for nothing? Should I continue to take steps to increase my milk? Will she wean early if I let her decide to take the lead, and stop offering every couple of hours?

Default Re: When do you stop taking measures to increase supply?

Does your baby enjoy nursing? If so, I don't think you should be concerned that she will wean early, even if your supply is low. My kid kept nursing for a year (age 2 to 3) even though it was only for 5 minutes once or twice a day and she got maybe an oz or two at most. She loved the closeness, she loved the act of nursing... It was no longer all about the milk, YK? I think she would have gone longer if I had continued to offer when she stopped asking to nurse.

As long as you are nursing on demand I don't think you need to be concerned about supply, even though your LO is starting to wake up with a dry diaper. I think that a lot of babies who don't like the feeling of sleeping in a wet diaper learn rather early that they can hold in the pee overnight. As long as your LO is having enough wet diapers during a 24 hour period, I just don't think you need to be worried about increasing your supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: When do you stop taking measures to increase supply?

She does seem to enjoy nursing, especially first thing in the morning, and in the evening/night. I think it's just hard to go from a baby that nursed 45 min. of every hour to all of a sudden nursing half that, even though I'm sure that's normal, too.

On the pee diapers, I'm not real clear, though. Most days, she's right at the 5/6 wet diapers mark, but she also drinks a little water, too. I'm not sure how much of the output is from breastmilk or water, yk? To put it into perspective, she's had 3 wet diapers since 9 pm last night. And we cloth diaper, so I know when she wets.....