Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Adoptive Moms?

Question Adoptive Moms?

I am new here and looking forward to learning a lot. My husband and I are in the process of adopting (this will be our second). Our first son came home at 12 months old and I hadn't ever considered nursing him. Our second child will be a newborn and I really want to try to breastfeed. I have never been pregnant and have had a hysterectomy (I still have one ovary).

We could receive a hospital placement any day or we could be matched with a birthmom due a few months out. We could also be waiting a year for a match. I'm not sure when or how to begin. Has anyone had this experience and if so, how did you handle it?

Thanks!

Default Re: Adoptive Moms?

I have not induced lactation, but there are many women who have. www.asklenore.com has great info on how to do that. I would also suggest contacting Dr Jack Newman, a doctor at the forefront of BF and induced lactation. www.drjacknewman.com

There are different protocols based on how long you have to establish a milk supply.

But it certainly can be done through diligence and commitment to the time it takes to signal your body to produce milk. I believe it's well worth the effort. Any milk you can provide is a precious gift.

It's great that you're considering nursing your next baby! I know 2 moms who have nursed adoptively. One had it easy- she was already nursing her biological child when she received her adopted newborn, and was able to tandem-nurse both kids. The other person I know who did adoptive nursing was in a much more difficult situation- it was 20 years ago, when adoptive nursing was little-known and very poorly understood, she had had a hysterectomy at 25, had never been pregnant, and had less than 24 hours to prepare from the moment she was informed that she was getting her baby to having him in her arms. Nevertheless, after about 2 weeks of nursing her baby using a supplemental nursing system she was able to produce some milk. She ultimately stopped when her son learned how to suck only from the SNS tube and spit out the breast- but considering that she induced lactation from a baby's suckling alone (no drugs, no pumps, no advance notice) I think she came a long way.

There was a mom on this site a while back (not sure if she's here anymore) who had twins via surrogacy. If I remember correctly, she induced lactation via pumping only (I think due to health issues that prevented her from taking lactation-inducing drugs)- and she managed to get a supply going and then sort of maintained it at a modest level, and then ramped up her production right before the babies were due. Maybe that could be a route you could take- get a supply going, and keep it going at a low level until you know you're getting a baby?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Mama to JerBear, the rough and tumble kid, 18 months.

All done nursing, all done pumping. Raising a toddler with food aversions and doing my best to deal with three painful conditions!