Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: my baby wants milk every hour and won't sleep!

Unhappy my baby wants milk every hour and won't sleep!

my 6 week old baby wants breast milk every hour. I feed her then she falls asleep so i put her to bed and in half hour or or so she starts crying and wanting more milk. so i feed her again and then same thing, put her back to bed and again she starts crying after half hour or so....she does this all day long and won't sleep.

at night time she'll only sleep for 2 to 3 hours.

could there be something wrong with my milk?
    something wrong with her?
    should i talk her to the doctor?

Default Re: my baby wants milk every hour and won't sleep!

This sounds like a textbook growth spurt. It's really, really challenging, but it has nothing to do with you or your milk and everything to do with the intense needs of a rapidly-growing baby. If you can hang in there and continue to nurse on demand, it should pass in not too long. Hang in there! We've all been there and it does get better!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I had the same exact problem! This is my first time nursing. I did not nurse my oldest as I was really young and had to go back to school after 2 weeks of giving birth. Any ways, I was so lost and still to this day after 7 months some times I still feel clueless. None of my friends have children and my family isn't very supportive.

Any ways, my daughter did the same and doc kept saying it was a growth spurt. My chiro said that I should wipe her face with a wet wash cloth to keep her awake while she's feeding, but I thought it was too harsh to do that to my LO. He and his wife were on the "Baby Wise" method. I just hung in there and eventually she stopped. Everyone is different I'm sure... my LO starting to sleep more at about 3 to 4 months and slept through the night once in a while at 5... now she's back at waking at nights, but maybe just once. There are times where she wakes every hour or two, but I now figured out that she either just needs some help going back to sleep, needs to get a quick nursing in if she didn't take enough during the day as she's real active, or could be having gas, etc. I don't produce much milk so I guess she really won't be sleeping through the night for us until she's well into solids and is taking more calories in.

Blanca
    Proud mommy of a 12 year old tween
    and my little Christmas Eve bundle of energy

Update: New baby girl summer 2011!

Another thing I did, is if she fell asleep on me and hand't reached the 2nd breast or fully finished the 1st one I would wake her by changing her diaper in between each breast to keep her awake and ensure she fully ate.... that may help?

Blanca
    Proud mommy of a 12 year old tween
    and my little Christmas Eve bundle of energy

Update: New baby girl summer 2011!

Smile Re: my baby wants milk every hour and won't sleep!

I just want to add that I was just talking to my boyfriend tonight about that! We were talking about how some poor moms get bad advice to feed their BF baby every 2-3 hours, when I think it should be on demand, when baby is hungry, feed baby, ya know? And LO here ate about every 30 min- an hour for the first couple of months, then the third month she had another growth spurt and was eating a ton then too, so consider it a great thing that baby eats alot, he will be nice and healthy I know it's tiring, but this will pass and it DEFINATELY gets easier! Enjoy, hang in there, and congrats on your bundle!! Totally normal!!
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10