Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restarting Breastfeeding

Unhappy Restarting Breastfeeding

My son is now 3 weeks old. I breastfeed the first couple of weeks, but then had to stop because my OBGYN put me on some antibiotics because my incision from the c-section got infected. The dr told me I could not breastfeed while on these antibiotics. I just finished my antibiotics yesterday and the pharmacist said that I could breastfeed again. I have been pumping my milk all week so that I would continue to produce. I am not producing very much milk though. Only about 1/2 an ounce each breast. I have been able to get baby to latch on a few times today and feed but I'm concerned about milk production. Is there any way I can get my milk production to catch up with baby. He is dringing about 2 ounces of formula at a time. Right now I'm breastfeeding first and then giving him about an ounce of formula. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Restarting Breastfeeding

If you scroll down a bit on the main forum page, you'll find a relactation and induced lactation sub-forum... I am a relactating mom myself and I'm sure there are other mama's who would be able to give you some advice.

DS is screaming at the moment but I'll come back later to give you some thoughts. Def come join us down in relactation land!!

Moving this to relactation
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Thanks I didn't even know there was a name for it relacting!!! I'm reading through the posts to see if anything will help. He latche on and feeds but I still have to give him a bottle afterward. There is just not enough milk.

Hi there,
    I am glad you found us!

I am sorry to hear that you got off track with breastfeeding this past week. I know it doesn't help you now, but there really aren't that many medications that you can't take while BF, and antibiotics are usually considered universally safe while BF. Unfortunately many docs and pharm. don't have all the knowledge they should on BF. I just wanted you to know this for future reference.

Anyway, be comforted in knowing that there shouldn't be much trouble getting your ds back to the breast full-time, as you have only been away from BF for a week and are still making a lot of milk.

A few questions for you:

Have you been working with an IBCLC? Do you have an LLL group or Leader nearby? It would be great if you could talk with someone in person.

What type of pump were you using this past week?
    Does ds still have a good latch and will take the breast well?

Lots of nursing and skin-to-skin should do the trick for you! You really are not that far behind the eight-ball, especially since babies tend to take more formula than BM. So just because you are only getting 1/2 ounce pumping doesn't mean that is all you will produce with ds nursing now. The more he takes out the more you will make, and he should be much more efficient than the pump! So keep him with you all of the time and nurse him at every peep, head movement or eye flutter, day and night!

Right now it is important to allow ds to nurse as much as he wants/needs. It's ok (and necessary!) for him to be nursing ALL of the time right now, until you get back to full supply. You will gradually be able to eliminate the formula supplements, and know when to do so by watching him and his output. The more you eliminate supplements the more he will nurse, causing you to make more milk. Make sense?

Sounds like you should have no trouble getting back to normal within the week!

Take care and let us know if you have any other questions!

you have already been great advice ! But goodluck! just keep putting him to the breast and he will be nursing full time again in no time!

the pump is never accurate to production! and BF babies to tend to eat less then FF babies!

goodluck to yoU!
    ~*TiffanyJewel*~
    Happily Married !
    SAHM to my two beautiful boys
    Ethan my sweet big boy! born 9-9-04
    Aidan my little nursling! (relactation) born
    5-2-06!
    Natalie Jewel Our Valentine! Born
    2-14-08
    *Relactation- a labor or Love*

Have you been working with an IBCLC? Do you have an LLL group or Leader nearby? It would be great if you could talk with someone in person.

Unfortunatelly no, and no. I have spoke with a nurse at the local health dept. But that was not much help. She said I could just try pumping my milk for the baby. I live in backwoods Southern GA an there doesn't seem to be much support for breastfeeding around that I have found anyway. Most people around here still think it taboo or tell me that my milk might be bad or not taste good. The pump that I have is a Medala hand pump that the local WIC gave me at the hospital.
    I keep putting him to the breast and he will nurse for a while but then gets cranky and I have to give him a bottle. Afterwards he just goes to sleep for several hours. I tried a couple of times yesterday to wake im up to nurse but he just goes to sleep at the breast.

Sometimes he latches on well and others not. Yesterday was not so good, but I have got him to nurse three times today. I'm just on't think he's getting much milk though.

Do you get WIC benefits? If so, they may be able to loan you a hospital grade Medela pump. That would really help.

How oftern are you pumping? You should pump every time baby feeds. If you give formula, pump. The more times you give formula, the less stimulation your breasts recieve because of the supplment. Have you considered using an SNS? Then you could give your DS the formula via breast so taht you're not missing any stimulation.

Even if he falls asleep at the breast, let him suck. Comfort nursing will bring supply up. If he does fall asleep on the breast and stop sucking, you can wake him and relatch him. You can try undressing him, tickle the toes, changing diaper.

I really think an SNS would help you greatly.

Keep up the good work. You've only been away from BFing for a week... You can certainly go back now!! Good luck!

I know you said you don't have an LLL group near you, but I just wanted to provide the following link anyway:

http://www.lllusa.org/GA/areamap.htm...west%20Georgia

Don't hesitate to call someone on the list, even if she seems a little far away. I have taken calls from moms who lived pretty far away and have gone some distances to make a home visit. Not all Leaders may wish to do this, but at least they will chat with you and maybe you could consider making a day trip to a meeting one day. It couldn't hurt!

I second what Felicia said about looking into another pump from WIC. They should also have some type of LC on staff as well.

Also, pumping every time ds nurses/feeds is important. It tells your body to make more milk, bringing up your supply.

Hang in there, and let us know how it is going.

Thanks for all the great advice. I don't get WIC. We had a good day yesterday. Zar BF 5 times. I just kept putting him to the breast. Sometimes he will feed and sometimes he won't. I still have to give him a bottle after feeding. He will only stay on about 5 minutes or so. I really think he is getting some BM because his stools are starting to soften and he's not drinking quite as much formula.