Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: PPD, zoloft, & BF

Default PPD, zoloft, & BF

My dr. prescribed zoloft for PPD. Does anyone have any experience or information about how zoloft could affect the baby? I'm scared that it will be excreted into the BM! The dr. of course said "we have no evidence of negative side effects", "benefits outweight the risks", and the literature from the pharm. companies all say "we do not know whether this is or is not excreted into BM" - basically saying "at your own risk".

I'd hate to think I'm messing with my baby's mental state by continuing to BF while taking this powerful drug!

--Alexandra

Default Re: PPD, zoloft, & BF

i completely understand your fear. i had it too; however, i've been dealing with depression for the last 7 years and one of the first things the OB told me is that i have to stay on my meds. i was taking 50 mg before ds was born, then they doubled my dose afterwards due to concern over ppd.
    i really believe that the benefits of a happy, healthy mom are worth the risks to my son. i don't believe that ds is experiencing any problems because of my taking zoloft. hes a wonderful happy baby and people always comment on how bright eyed and alert he is.
    this is a personal decision for you to make but i know, for me, taking zoloft is near the top of the list of the best things i can do for my baby.

If you google Dr. Hale, breastfeeding and zoloft, you'll find that zoloft is one of the safer meds he recommends. I'm taking paxil for my PPD.

Good luck!

Just a note that you're not alone, Alexandra. I take Effexor for my PPD. I relied on information from my psychiatrist (relied on his expertise more than the family practice doc) and also what's posted on Dr. Hale's web site.

Funny how people think psychiatrists are the same as psychologists. Psychiatrists specialize in medication to treat mental health issues/concerns. Mine was really helpful in letting me know how many other moms he has had as patients who have taken the same med.

Good for you for taking care of yourself. We mommies need to be healthy to take care of those adorable tots.
    Mommy to William, 4/29/09, 7 lbs 13 oz, 21 inches.
    Mommy to Evan, 3/18/06. 7 lbs 3 oz, 21 1/4 inches.
    WOHM! Nursed both boys to 14 months!
    Student Doula with Childbirth International
    Wisconsin!

I take lexapro--its not recommended for mothers of newborns because it can cause excessive sleepiness, but I didn't start taking it until dd was aobut 3months old. I have never noticed that side effect in her. But I believe that Zoloft is the only anti depressant on the market that Dr. Hale actually recommends for ppd. A happy breastfeeding mom who takes anti depressants is better than not breastfeeding, and I believe that in general, that is the consensus when it comes to those types of meds.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I just posted a similar question on the Chronic Conditions - Mother forum a week or two ago after discussing antidepressants with my OB. I highly recommend Dr Hale's website, he has some question/answer forums and he seems to recommend Zoloft first. My OB also recommended it saying it has the most research behind it in the treatment of PPD in BF mothers and that's what he would want his wife to take if she were in my situation. Look for my post on that other forum, there are a couple of links to info about zoloft that I found very helpful.

Sorry to hear about all you ladies struggling with ppd. And my applause to your committment to care for yourselves in order to better care for your baby. Doing your research is good and there is plenty of info out there. I just wanted to say that having worked with those who have chronic mental health issues, there are all kinds of doctors out there who have very different views and information. Even the best doctors (md's) out there would have to work very hard to stay up on all the research. Get as much info as you can and don't be afraid to ask for a second opinion from a psychiatrist if possible. Most of all, trust your body! All the antideppressants work differently and react differently from person to person. Overall, I think that the benefits of treating the ppd outweigh the risks but make sure that the meds are actually working for you and never ever make any changes or try to stop taking them without having your doctor and some loved ones to monitor you.

Here's a link to his website/ medical forums- it is the best!! You'll find lots of info:

http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/

good luck! a happy breastfeeding mama is better than any other option !
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.