Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much is too much?

Question How much is too much?

My DS will be 5 months old on the 23rd. Currently, I give my sister an average of 8 to 9 ounces of EBM to feed him throughout the day (she has him for about 8 hours). Since he is getting older, I know his tummy can hold more milk. So, I'm wondering how much should he be eating at one time? I give my sister milk in bags (portions range from 2 to 3 1/2 oz per bag) but I think she's been giving him 4 ounces at once..which sounds like a lot to me. I think it would make more sense to give him no more than 3 ounces at a time, since I highly doubt he's getting more than that when I b/f him. I know they say it's easy to overfeed a baby with a bottle. Any thoughts/advice?

TIA
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Default Re: How much is too much?

I see. So do you think that if he's getting so much from the bottle it will throw him off when I'm breastfeeding him?
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

If he is hungry at the breast he will suckle more vigorously/for longer and you will soon provide sufficient for his needs/appetite.

My daughter is 3 months old (this Monday the 24th) and my sitter also watches her for 8 hours a day. She's been giving her 3 bottles - the first is usually around 5 ounces, the second around 4 and the third around 3...so 12 ounces a day. Is this too much? I didn't question it until I saw this forum...

I'm using the wide Dr. Brown's bottles with the Stage 1 nipples (slowest). I was told those are good for breast feeding babies. At work, I pump anywhere from 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 ounces each time. I get about 12-13 ounces in that 8 hour span while I'm at work. I then pump at night and early in the morning, so that I can continue freezing milk and having some extra for nights out, etc. I don't get a lot when I pump, unfortunately. My supply seemed to suddenly drop a couple of weeks ago. My daughter nurses well after I pick her up. I let her nurse as often as she likes, in order to keep the supply I do have. She does the latch-on, latch-off, latch-on, latch-off dance once in a while. Not sure if she is getting too much at once or not enough. I still can't read her like a book!

i started at 2 oz in the first month and went up a half oz every month until I got to 4 oz and we have "plateaued" and he's been getting 4 oz every 2-3 hrs. sometimes longer depending on outings and naps..

my daughter i eventually went up to the max 5 oz until she was weaned and switched to cow's milk at a year!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Angry Re: How much is too much?

Okay, good to know. I figured 4 ounces was pretty average. Come to find out, my sitter was wasting milk!!! She told me my DD was eating 5 ounces, but she was actually throwing away almost an ounce from the bottle each feeding! Wouldn't you think she'd use common sense and make smaller bottles? I even offered to make the bottles myself so that there would be no wasting of my milk, but she said she could do it. GRRR...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juniper79 View Post
    Okay, good to know. I figured 4 ounces was pretty average. Come to find out, my sitter was wasting milk!!! She told me my DD was eating 5 ounces, but she was actually throwing away almost an ounce from the bottle each feeding! Wouldn't you think she'd use common sense and make smaller bottles? I even offered to make the bottles myself so that there would be no wasting of my milk, but she said she could do it. GRRR...
    GASP!