Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much is too much?

Question How much is too much?

My DS will be 5 months old on the 23rd. Currently, I give my sister an average of 8 to 9 ounces of EBM to feed him throughout the day (she has him for about 8 hours). Since he is getting older, I know his tummy can hold more milk. So, I'm wondering how much should he be eating at one time? I give my sister milk in bags (portions range from 2 to 3 1/2 oz per bag) but I think she's been giving him 4 ounces at once..which sounds like a lot to me. I think it would make more sense to give him no more than 3 ounces at a time, since I highly doubt he's getting more than that when I b/f him. I know they say it's easy to overfeed a baby with a bottle. Any thoughts/advice?

TIA
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Default Re: How much is too much?

Actually, unlike formula, babies don't need more breast milk so it's reasonable to give him the same amount of milk as before. 1-1.5 oz per hour average. 4 oz does seem like a lot at one time but if it's working for them I wouldn't change it.

I see. So do you think that if he's getting so much from the bottle it will throw him off when I'm breastfeeding him?
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

If he is hungry at the breast he will suckle more vigorously/for longer and you will soon provide sufficient for his needs/appetite.

My daughter is 3 months old (this Monday the 24th) and my sitter also watches her for 8 hours a day. She's been giving her 3 bottles - the first is usually around 5 ounces, the second around 4 and the third around 3...so 12 ounces a day. Is this too much? I didn't question it until I saw this forum...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juniper79 View Post
    My daughter is 3 months old (this Monday the 24th) and my sitter also watches her for 8 hours a day. She's been giving her 3 bottles - the first is usually around 5 ounces, the second around 4 and the third around 3...so 12 ounces a day. Is this too much? I didn't question it until I saw this forum...
    12 oz over 8 hours is 1.5 oz per hour which is fine - itsthe upper end of average. As for the amount in each bottle, does her bottlefeeding mimic breastfeeding in that it is paced and slower? Are you using newborn nipples to slow the flow of milk? When you pump at work, does the amount you pump each time come to 4-5 oz? Does your LO nurse well when picked up from DC?

If it's working I wouldn't change it.

I'm using the wide Dr. Brown's bottles with the Stage 1 nipples (slowest). I was told those are good for breast feeding babies. At work, I pump anywhere from 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 ounces each time. I get about 12-13 ounces in that 8 hour span while I'm at work. I then pump at night and early in the morning, so that I can continue freezing milk and having some extra for nights out, etc. I don't get a lot when I pump, unfortunately. My supply seemed to suddenly drop a couple of weeks ago. My daughter nurses well after I pick her up. I let her nurse as often as she likes, in order to keep the supply I do have. She does the latch-on, latch-off, latch-on, latch-off dance once in a while. Not sure if she is getting too much at once or not enough. I still can't read her like a book!

i started at 2 oz in the first month and went up a half oz every month until I got to 4 oz and we have "plateaued" and he's been getting 4 oz every 2-3 hrs. sometimes longer depending on outings and naps..

my daughter i eventually went up to the max 5 oz until she was weaned and switched to cow's milk at a year!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Angry Re: How much is too much?

Okay, good to know. I figured 4 ounces was pretty average. Come to find out, my sitter was wasting milk!!! She told me my DD was eating 5 ounces, but she was actually throwing away almost an ounce from the bottle each feeding! Wouldn't you think she'd use common sense and make smaller bottles? I even offered to make the bottles myself so that there would be no wasting of my milk, but she said she could do it. GRRR...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juniper79 View Post
    Okay, good to know. I figured 4 ounces was pretty average. Come to find out, my sitter was wasting milk!!! She told me my DD was eating 5 ounces, but she was actually throwing away almost an ounce from the bottle each feeding! Wouldn't you think she'd use common sense and make smaller bottles? I even offered to make the bottles myself so that there would be no wasting of my milk, but she said she could do it. GRRR...
    GASP!