Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pump and Dump (alcohol)

Default Re: Pump and Dump (alcohol)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amy.marie View Post
    Hmmm I'd probably dump it. *I* wouldn't be comfortable giving it if I'd drank that much.
    Me too.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

i take barley for the increase of my milk supply, barley is in beer, my daughter's doctor said if you can drive, you can breastfeed. She has nursed 3 children. but it still comes down to what you are comfortable doing.

Hi there... I've done a lot of reading on this, because, I'm not going to lie, I like to drink. Yes, I agree with the post about us being able to give up partying for a while while we nurse, but I also know I like to drink...not a party animal anymore, by any means, but, seriously, though - I like to have a glass or wine, sometimes two, about once a week. Since I had my little one, though, I also have had a couple of birthday parties where I had more than one or two - I'm not going to lie.

So....yes, the body does get rid of the alcohol in your milk, as it does your blood, but the way you "feel" can be misleading. We've learned that your body gets rid of approximately one drink per hour, but that's not the same for everyone. Each mother is different, and it can depend on metabolism, what you ate, how fast you drank, your weight and I'm sure there's a few more things I can't recall.

So, what I did was buy the Milkscreen product. They are testing strips that test the alcohol in your milk. They change color at .02 percent, and say that .03 percent can effect your baby. After testing my milk, I know now, that the one time I "felt" okay, there was still alcohol in my milk. I'm very embarrassed to say that, because that was very stupid and selfish of me. I keep a box at home, just incase I want wine with dinner or something, and always have plenty of extra expressed milk.

The only time I would pump and dump is if I was unsafe to feed and my boobs were getting really full/painful, or if I would want to stay on feeding/pumping schedule.

So -there you have more input... for what it's worth.