Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pump and Dump (alcohol)

Default Pump and Dump (alcohol)

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this question but thought I'd start here.

I've read recently that there isn't really a need to 'pump and dump' if it's been about two/three hours after having a few drinks. Below are some of the statements from the article…

•It is recommended that nursing moms avoid breastfeeding during and for 2-3 hours after drinking (Hale 2002).

•There is no need to pump & dump milk after drinking alcohol, other than for mom's comfort -- pumping & dumping does not speed the elimination of alcohol from the milk.

Alcohol does not accumulate in breastmilk, but leaves the milk as it leaves the blood; so when your blood alcohol levels are back down, so are your milk alcohol levels.

So… my question is… if after having a few drinks and I pump, would the EBM eventually loose the alcohol factors while being stored in the fridge? Or does the body have to make it happen?

Thanks for any insight!

Default Re: Pump and Dump (alcohol)

I believe that info is for 1-2 drinks not 4-5 so it depends on what you mean by a few. The basic school of thought is that if you are sober enough to drive then you are ok to nurse. http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html has good info. A lot of it you already quoted but it gives some extra stuff you may not have seen yet.

But to answer your original question, your pumped milk is fine. By the time you pump it or nurse the body has already done everything it's going to do as far as processing the alcohol.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Thanks for the quick reply!

To clarify, I had about 6 beers over a 5 hour timespan. I felt a bit tipsy, but not drunk and it was about 45 minutes after my last drink that I pumped.

Is the milk that I pumped still as it was the 45 mintues after, or since it's the next day, has the alcohol dissapated more? I know it sounds like I'm splitting hairs, but I was able to get a good 6oz and would like to see if I could freeze it for extra stash.

Thanks again for any input!

I think the amount of alcohol in the pumped milk will be the same as when you pumped it - as I understand it alcohol can travel between your blood and milk freely. Your liver removes it from your blood over time so as it does the alcohol will come back out of your milk replacing that which was in your blood, then that will get digested until it's all gone eventually (I hope that makes some sense!). But once it's in the bottle it's just going to stay as alcohol.

If you would have been happy nursing at the time I would use it, if not then don't. If you're just a bit unsure you could always mix it with some other pumped milk so the proportion of alcohol decreases. I would probably use it.

Honestly, I would dump the milk. I doubt it is safe to feed to the LO and your LO is better safe than loosing brain cells.

It makes a difference how old your baby is too. If we're talking about a 4 week old then I'd probably be wary of giving it.
    If we're talking about a 9 month old or a toddler it's different.

There is more alcohol in a ripe banana than there is the milk of a mom who's had a *few* beers. I don't think that the alcohol dissipates in the pumped milk like it does in the breast. There's only one drug I can think of (it's actually a certain type of contrast) that does that.

I'm going to jump out there and say what no one else had because LLL is about mothering through breastfeeding, and drinking six beers really isn't conducive to either. We have such a small window that our children our completely dependent on us, and it is not a big sacrifice giving up partying for a couple of years. This from a mom whose first child was born in 1996 when I was 20 and my last child at 32, so I can relate to motherhood at every age and stage just about.

I'd like to point out that six beers is more than a "few". It's technically binge drinking. Besides the milk not being preferable to drink, it's not preferable for mamas to be intoxicated with infants. Even though it seems spaced, your reflexes and judgment aren't the same and not to mention after not drinking while pregnant you don't typically have your tolerance built up.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ecd View Post
    I think the amount of alcohol in the pumped milk will be the same as when you pumped it - as I understand it alcohol can travel between your blood and milk freely. Your liver removes it from your blood over time so as it does the alcohol will come back out of your milk replacing that which was in your blood, then that will get digested until it's all gone eventually (I hope that makes some sense!). But once it's in the bottle it's just going to stay as alcohol.
    Once you've pumped the alcohol is no longer being filtered out so it won't dissipate.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks for all the replies - I appreciate the various viewpoints and appreciate the time taken to give your input.

ECD - good explaination!
    Last edited by @llli*donohuegirls; August 3rd, 2009 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Wrong name used

Hmmm I'd probably dump it. *I* wouldn't be comfortable giving it if I'd drank that much.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies