Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I quit pumping for my 1-year-old?

Default Can I quit pumping for my 1-year-old?

I'm a teacher, and during the school year my son had bottles of pumped milk on demand, supplemented with a little formula. Now that it's summer, he mostly nurses. We co-sleep and night-nurse. He eats some solids.

During the school year, I pumped twice a day. It was very stressful to get away from my classroom long enough to do this. I cashed in every favor I had.

I do not want to pump this year, but I also don't want to wean. Will I be able to go 9-10 hours during the day without pumping and still maintain a supply for evening, weekend, and night-nursing? I don't want to be in pain or leak all over my shirts or stop lactating, but I really, really, really don't want to pump anymore.

Default Re: Can I quit pumping for my 1-year-old?

The short answer is, yes you can. You may have to pump briefly when you return to work due to engorgment issues, but you just gradually reduce the time you spend at those sessions, until you can comfortably drop the pumping. You might be able to assist this process by setting limits now on how often you nurse during the day. I pump-weaned at a year and was able to continue nursing my son whenever he wanted it in the evenings and on the weekends for about another year. I even nursed him down for naps on weekends, even though I didn't use any milk during the week. Occasionally on Monday I was a little engorged, but not uncomfortably. If your period has not returned yet, this may trigger it, as it did with me.

I pump weaned at 13 months and continued nursing when I was with my daughter until she was 2. At this point your supply is well-established and you won't lose it by going the day without pumping.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Anybody have any guidelines about the earliest you can pump wean? I have a seven and a half month old, and my job is getting busier and busier. I'm having a more difficult time finding time to pump. I try to pump twice, but somedays it doesn't happen, and it's a huge source of stress to me. If I pump wean now, I know I'll have to supplement with formula (not wild about in the abstract, but I have to acknowledge my limits), but will I endanger our nursing relationship? He's a great nurser, loves the boob, has never had any issues. Any ideas?
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start