Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BLS: Still throwing up every day

Default Re: BLS: Still throwing up every day

I think broccoli is one of her favorite foods actually. She puts so much in her mouth at ONCE that maybe this is what makes her puke.

I would say she is puking 25% of the time. I will just slow down a bit and she will eat soon enough.
    Nursed for 18 months

How about limiting the amount you offer her?

Only put one or 2 pieces on her tray and wait for her to finish chewing / swallowing before offering more? And then if it seems like she's over eating stop offering that food.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Giving her a limited amount is a good idea for the reason you said. ALSO because if she has several pieces she decides it is time for the game "is gravity still in operation?"
    Nursed for 18 months

My ds was also big on throwing up. He threw up SOOO much from the time he was very young (from allergies I believe now, but I didn't know back then), until well after he started solids. Sometimes the reason was the texture for sure (creamed corn, was a biggie--he also couldn't tolerate anything with chunks of food for the longest time), but other times I still don't know why. He might not've eaten for a few hours, and he'd eat half a jar of completely pureed veggies or fruit, and then projectile it right back out .
    Anyway, he outgrew it as well. His doctor always thought it was due to reflux. Like one of the pp's, he suddenly stopped doing it around 15 or 16 months I believe. Now he never throws up anything (he's 27 months). So hang in there. Just take it slow, and follow her ques--she won't starve as long as she's nursing regularily.
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

Hhhmm, I don't have any advice as I have no experience with this. But my instinct is this isn't normal yet it seems like most people who responded also had babies who threw up solids - I don't know much about BLS but could it be the pieces are too big or something? I would think that a baby who throws up very often would maybe not be so interested in eating food as that is not a pleasant experience. I'll look up BLS and do some reading but if anyone has some good info. on it, I'd like to learn more about it.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenniebean5 View Post
    but could it be the pieces are too big or something?
    This sounds like the right idea. Only with BLS, babies (are supposed to) tongue-thrust out pieces too big to move to the back of the throat. I gave her green beans last night (so much for slowing down) and she did fine, LOVED them even. She gave me one huge hack, spit up a little, and I was done. We just end it and no harm done
    Nursed for 18 months