Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BLS: Still throwing up every day

Default BLS: Still throwing up every day

Hi, LO is 9 months. Have been offering whole foods like steamed vegetables & fruit since 6 mo. She is still throwing up very often instead of just gagging. When will she learn?
    Nursed for 18 months

Default Re: BLS: Still throwing up every day

Is it specific foods or textures?
    Throwing up immediately after eating or delayed?
    Any patterns you've noticed?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

do you think maybe he's eating too much and overloading his tummy? My ds did that once with peaches - he loved them soooo much, and I kept giving him more because I thought he was still hungry. He threw them all up and when I saw the amount that came up I felt super bad for allowing him to have that much. Same thing happened with raisons a few weeks ago.

ETA: it takes the body about 20 minutes to signal the brain that it's full. Normally babies/toddlers eat pretty slowly so they feel full and they stop eating. However, if they love something they might eat it super fast therefore not realizing they are full, kwim?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

My LO threw up solids with lots of gagging and choking for a very long time. He seemed to be particularly sensitive to textures, and anyting that was a bit thick came right back up.

My ped never seemed concerned, and despite me crying in the office 'are you sure there is nothing wrong with him?', she recc that we just wait it out and it would resolve as he matured.

IT DID RESOLVE ITSELF. At about 14 months, one day he just never threw up again - ever. Like overnite it seemed. He eats like a champ now, no problems with textures, LOVES ALL FOOD.

I have SO BEEN THERE. Unless you really feel as though something is wrong, try just waiting it out and going really slow, at his pace, not in a hurry.
    Mommy to DS - 12/29/2007 and DD - 4/11/2010
    We are taking tandem nursing day by day

If your baby is throwing up everything, that means NOT READY. Put them away and try again in a week.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    Is it specific foods or textures?
    Throwing up immediately after eating or delayed?
    Any patterns you've noticed?
    Foods she threw up recently up are broccoli, carrots, tofu. Sometimes it stays down, sometimes not.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    do you think maybe he's eating too much and overloading his tummy?
    What you say makes sense, but I don't think that is the case here. She throws up and there is just a little bit of the food in her belly (along with milk of course). The puking is clearly from difficulty assimilating the bigger pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mykidsmom View Post
    My LO threw up solids with lots of gagging and choking for a very long time. He seemed to be particularly sensitive to textures, and anyting that was a bit thick came right back up.

IT DID RESOLVE ITSELF. At about 14 months, one day he just never threw up again - ever. Like overnite it seemed. He eats like a champ now, no problems with textures, LOVES ALL FOOD.
    This is reassuring TY!

It makes some sense that she would not be ready if puking, but what about all the times that she does just fine? When you say put the foods away do you mean it would be best to ONLY offer BM and say, bananas (never a problem)? I don't think I should stop offering steamed veggies - she needs practice yeah?
    Nursed for 18 months

Sixyearplan how frequently have you been offering food?

I ask because I did a lot of traveling/moving around last month and didn't offer too much food at that time. Before that, wasn't too serious about that either. Maybe she (B) just hasn't had enough practice. (She still gags all the time.)
    Nursed for 18 months

Have you tried other veggies then broccoli or carrots? My ds actually hates broccoli,peas and carrots and throws them up also...but he will swallow potatoes, yams, pasta,puff cereal, bannanas ect...maybe she is just not crazy bout that taste

**Tricia**
    Married to DH since July '07
    Mommy to Logan born 09/10/08

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hiranmayii View Post
    Hi, LO is 9 months. Have been offering whole foods like steamed vegetables & fruit since 6 mo. She is still throwing up very often instead of just gagging. When will she learn?
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hiranmayii View Post
    It makes some sense that she would not be ready if puking, but what about all the times that she does just fine? When you say put the foods away do you mean it would be best to ONLY offer BM and say, bananas (never a problem)? I don't think I should stop offering steamed veggies - she needs practice yeah?
    In your 1st post you say she throwing up VERY OFTEN. IME that would mean not ready. Yes Puking and gagging are normal parts of the learning curve. But if it's happening MORE OFTEN THAN NOT than I'd say that signals not ready. And yeas I mean put them away for a week. In the grand scheme of her life a week or two or three is not going to make or break her eating solids. DJ puked. But not all the time. When Christy was here with Nora, Nora Puked EVERYTIME She fed her. (While she was here.) Norah was older than 6months. She wasn't ready. She didn't give up completely but she backed off some. And when she WAS ready, it was a snap. I am not suggesting that you give up or begin purees. I am saying give it week. Try again. If it is still prevalent, try again the week after that. While I feel that food routine is important, I believe watching their ques are also important. If you want to continue to work on the Ritual of Meal time. Set her down 2 or 3x a day with Cheerios in front of her. Those don't usually get puked and then she can still participate in meal time while "waiting".

Way too lazy for formula

I think broccoli is one of her favorite foods actually. She puts so much in her mouth at ONCE that maybe this is what makes her puke.

I would say she is puking 25% of the time. I will just slow down a bit and she will eat soon enough.
    Nursed for 18 months