Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Medela pump questions for increasing supply

Default Medela pump questions for increasing supply

Hi, does anyone know how a 9-year-old PIS (used to exclusively pump for 3 children) compares to a Symphony and to a new PIS in terms of 1-ability to increase supply; 2-loudness?

I am starting to really hate the old PIS. I think I sometimes don't get a letdown with it. Either that, or there's something wrong with it. Last night, I just got a few ml, and I usually get more at that time.

I rented a Symphony for about 3 weeks, and liked it better. It seemed like it drained me better, and I always got something out. It was a pretty expensive rental, though.

Now I'm wondering if I should just rent the Symphony again, or buy a new PIS, or if I'm just imagining a problem with the old PIS, or if my low supply is not correctable.

I want to increase supply for my distracted, impatient 6.5-month-old. I don't think I can increase supply by increasing the number of times she nurses: I'm already nursing her every 1.5 to 2 hours during the day. Usually she'll only nurse for 5 minutes max, then it seems like my milk stops flowing. I feel like she would drink more if it came out easier. At night (11 hours), she usually nurses once. When she wakes in the early morning, I put her on me for side lying nursing, then she is on me for the last two hours or so of the night, drinking from time to time. I also have her nap on me.

Default Re: Medela pump questions for increasing supply

Hi Mama,

I don't have a ton of pumping experience, but I'm pretty sure that if you got 9 yrs out of a non-hospital grade pump (PISA), then you've done great! From what I understand, the suction on the double electric PISA and Symphony are the same, but the PISA is meant to be a single user pump and last 3 or 4 years of average/heavy use. The Symphony is designed as a closed system for multiple users and will last 10 yrs of average/heavy use. So I guess you should just do your math on what will be most economical in the long run if this is your last baby. A new pump or a rental...
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

I love the Madela PIS, but if it was used to EP for 3 kids, I would guess that it's pretty worn out. Mine got worn out after 4-5 months of EPing, and I returned it with the warranty to get a new one sent. They do have a great one year warranty and their costumer service is great. Depending how much you are paying for the rental, I would say a new Medela would be a good investment.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyoflance View Post
    I would say a new Medela would be a good investment.
    And if you have 3 kids to run around after (besides the baby), I would check out the Medela Freestyle - I that pump!

(BTW, bestbuybaby.com has great prices.)
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

The old PIS was actually my cousin's (she's the one with 3 kids!--I just have my one!).

I did end up buying myself a new PISA today. Now, the question is, how often do I pump and when do I pump if I want to bump up my supply?