Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby does not fall asleep on his own

Default baby does not fall asleep on his own

My DS is 2 months old and since he was 1 week old, he has been spitting up after feeding. His pediatrician told us that we had to hold up in the upright position for half an hour after feeding and we have been doing that. The problem is that he always falls asleep right after feeding, therefore he is used to sleep in our arms. Now if we lay him down awake or drowsy, he wouldn't go to sleep on his own. He would cry for as long as until we pick him up. Another thing is that he startles alot during sleep and that wakes him up often even we swaddle him well, then he needs us to pick him up in our arms so he can fall back to sleep, otherwise he would cry again until as long as it takes for us to pick him up. My baby is very persistent and high need. Does anyone have the same problem? Does baby grow out of this or you have to train them?

Default Re: baby does not fall asleep on his own

One of mine was very high needs, and now that he is 10 he is the best big kid. Its just a stage. Have you tried elevating his mattress? That might help.
    We have always just co-slept with our babies. You have to do what ever gets you the most sleep. And then if its not working change it.

My DS was this way for a while. He is 5 1/2 months and is just learning that it's okay to be alone. I don't think it's something you can 'train' a child on. They have to have trust that someone will cuddle them and comfort them when they need it. My DS sleeps in his swing because it provides him with the comfort he needs (whether it's in motion or not). It's something they normally grow out of and I don't believe you can force them to not be so high needs.

Good luck. I know it's tough. Mine was the same way. It does get better!

My dd is also "high needs". She is 4.5 months. I finally gave up trying to put her in her bassinet, crib, and starting co-sleeping indefinately. Occasionally she will sleep a couple hours a night in her crib if I'm not ready for bed, etc. This is the only way I get sleep. Otherwise, I would be passed out asleep in her rocker with dd on boppy sleeping in my arms anyway. Good luck!

You mean there are babies who actually do fall asleep on their own? Where can one find such a creature? Lock Ness?

Ds is 17 mo and only now beginning to be able to fall asleep on his own. It's a gradual process and I certainly never trained him. I believe "training" methods to be very cuel and even unhealthy. Of course all babies will eventually grow and learn to fall asleep without help, just as they will learn to walk, feed themselves, use the toilet, etc. You never met an adult who needed her mommy to rock her to sleep, hold her hands for her to walk, spoon feed her, and take her to the potty, did you?

Antons Mom,

Have you tried a sling or wrap yet?

DJ's mom,
    I tried both Moby wrap and New Native sling, but none of them work out very well. The Moby wrap took me too long to put him in and take him out. I was so afraid to drop him or twist his legs while putting him in. The New Native sling seems too uncomfortable for my DS. When he lies sideway, his body seems crooked, his head and body are not aligned, his face is all covered up with the fabric and therefore his view is blocked. I just got the Evenflow baby carrier (similar to Baby Bjorn) but haven't tried it yet. I hope it will work out.

Oh please try the Moby again! I KNOW it's overwhelming at 1st. SOO Much fabric and babies DO fuss at 1st. But if you practice...I swear you'll have it down in no time. Is the a LLL meeting you could go to? Usually women there are Happy to give demonstrations. I just gave one to my Cousins DH. Why don't you try it when your baby is already upset and you don't have anything to lose. (I always do things w/ DJ that would make him cry when He's already crying anyways KWIM? (Like cut his fingernails or suck snot out of his nose). Also maybe have your DH help you...they have great instructions and men are all about instructions!!!!

DJ's mom,
    I got the instruction down and had no problem putting it together, however putting the baby in and taking him out is the issue for me since you can only use one arm to hold the baby while using the other hand to open the fabric. Also the wrap needs to be a little tight to hold the baby in the right position/up high, therefore it is a challange putting him in. I am afraid to twist his arms/legs. Once he is in, it sure is very comfy for both of us.

It sounds like your talking about the cradle position. WHich is a little hard to manuever by yourself if your a small woman. But the Hug hold you can put baby in w/ both arms and once his leg is in on one side your homefree. You spread the fabric over butt and body and then he's safe on you while you manipulate the other side and then you bring up the cumberbun for the EXTRA bit of security. This posistion we LIVED IN. We still use now. I use the front hold too and my husband has always been partial to the cradle hold... but I can get him in the hug hold in under a minute. BUT when I was 1st figuring it out me & DH did it together. SO if you already have how to get n it down...maybe have him help you practice so you aren't afraid to twist his arm or leg....I just think this wrap would help you w/soo many of your problems. The highneeds issue, feeling like you can't put him down. Not to mention really boosting your self confidence at your ability to "multi task". I know your having a rough patch. Plus having DH experiment and help me put us in a position where he felt like an "expert" so now whenever we leave the house he always wants to wear the baby!