Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Blood in milk

Default Blood in milk

Not really sure where to post this, so I'll start here. I have been pumping more then usually due to a low supply, yesterday when pumping I noticed that the milk from one breast was pink, this has happened once before several months ago. There was blood that settled at the bottom of the bag after it was refridgerated. I am not sure what to do, I'm sure its probably no big deal but I am not sure. Any ideas?

Default Re: Blood in milk

I had the same problem when I had to pump when my son was in the hospital for 3 weeks when he was 7 weeks old (he's now 8 months and healthy as a horse). It was a little disturbing to see "strawberry" milk coming out, I'll tell you. One of the PICU nurses said it was fine to give him the "strawberry" milk, although for whatever reason, she suggested that he get it fresh, rather than frozen. Don't know why. One thing she did tell me, that later ended up being true, was to watch out for symptoms of mastitis. Low and behold, a week later, I had a raging case. Just keep a eye on things and call your doctor if any flu-like symptoms appear.

Default Re: Blood in milk

You said the same thing my LC told me. Thanks for the great info.