Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this normal?

Default Re: Is this normal?

Another comment re the breast pump. I had to get a larger cup size for my breasts as my nipples were being sucked too much into the tube on the cup, so I got a larger size, and that made pumping more comfortable. I think from memory, the nipple shouldn't be sucked into the tube too much, if it is, you'll end up with sore nipples.
    Alison, mummy to Erin
    Born @ 30 weeks, 2nd July 2008, 3lb 11oz, fully breastfed

cloth nappy wearing bub.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    Are you only going to the hospital once a day? If so, I think that it is the biggest reason you could be having low supply. You need to be with baby as much as you can right now. Try to touch as much as possible. Bug the hospital staff as much as you can to do skin to skin, and when you are able, kangaroo your LO all the time. This is more invaluable than pumping right now...which is of course important, but your body needs to be responding to your baby.
    Thats all we can afford to go. Its over an hour away. I cant drive because of the surgery, and pain meds. I would love to be with her all the time, but thats just not reality right now. My husband works, and I cant work now for 8 weeks...On top of everything else we are in the middle of moving from an apartment to a house and that has to be done before the end of Aug.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ambjosh View Post
    Thats all we can afford to go. Its over an hour away. I cant drive because of the surgery, and pain meds. I would love to be with her all the time, but thats just not reality right now. My husband works, and I cant work now for 8 weeks...On top of everything else we are in the middle of moving from an apartment to a house and that has to be done before the end of Aug.
    The hospital that we were in had a room-in in the NICU. Could you see about staying there, at least some of the time? There was a shower and everything.

In the meantime call friends, call family, get people to drive you, take the bus if you can. Your baby needs you right now more than ever. It is the most important that you are there with her right now. I would say it is a better investment to take the $$ that you would be spending on supplements or domperidone and even hire a taxi to drive you there. There is NO ONE else that can help you?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    The hospital that we were in had a room-in in the NICU. Could you see about staying there, at least some of the time? There was a shower and everything.

In the meantime call friends, call family, get people to drive you, take the bus if you can. Your baby needs you right now more than ever. It is the most important that you are there with her right now. I would say it is a better investment to take the $$ that you would be spending on supplements or domperidone and even hire a taxi to drive you there. There is NO ONE else that can help you?
    Nope the only person that would take me other than my husband is my mother, and she owns a business that we use to run together, now shes having to do it full time by herself, and she cant until after she gets of work and by then my husband is home, and we are on our way out the door. A taxi wouldnt be a simple 10 or 15 dollars....it would be 30-40 and thats something we dont have now. There is no bus...I try to do everything i can....I am trying to be a good mother, but damn it, nowwhat milk supply i did have is going away, and i feel like crap because i cant be with her all the time already.

The NICU shes at is at a community hosptial, and they dont let anyone stay unless your in the hosptial. Ive already asked. And i simplily cant stay in a waiting room all night, I have a huge cut in my tummy right now, and really cant let it get infected from being in a nasty waiting room
    Last edited by @llli*ambjosh; July 31st, 2009 at 11:21 PM.

Nope the only person that would take me other than my husband is my mother, and she owns a business that we use to run together, now shes having to do it full time by herself, and she cant until after she gets of work and by then my husband is home, and we are on our way out the door. A taxi wouldnt be a simple 10 or 15 dollars....it would be 30-40 and thats something we dont have now. There is no bus...I try to do everything i can....I am trying to be a good mother, but damn it, nowwhat milk supply i did have is going away, and i feel like crap because i cant be with her all the time already.
    I would say ask the hospital about staying there if you can. If that is your only option.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

The NICU shes at is at a community hosptial, and they dont let anyone stay unless your in the hosptial. Ive already asked. And i simplily cant stay in a waiting room all night, I have a huge cut in my tummy right now, and really cant let it get infected from being in a nasty waiting room
    Good luck to you then mama.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Just one more thought - can you ask the hospital - maybe talk to a social worker - if there's anyone else from around your area making the drive? You could ride with them and just give them a little gas money? Even if they aren't making the drive every day, at least it would be more than you're able to go now. The thing is, in my experience, the more you're at the hospital, the better things go with the nurses - not that there still won't be some difficulties, but it's like your presense there helps things a TON, for you, your baby, and with the staff. Or, maybe the social worker could hook you up with someplace to stay close to the hospital - at our local hospital there's a "hospitality house." And, for the families whose babies were in the NICU at our hospital, the social worker mentioned there are ways to help families pay for the extra cost of gas/housing. Ask them about SSI (I don't know a lot because we don't get it, but it has to do with birthweight and income). When you aren't there, I would call at least at every feeding time to check on your baby. Also, you could leave something that smells like you in your baby's isolette so she can smell you when you're not there and when you do pump, I would look at pictures of her.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

I understand the not being able to be there all the time. I still have a ton of guilt from not being able to stay, but it wasn't possible for me. I actually was able to pump more when I was at home vs. the hospital because it was so stressful being there though. I would recommend having pics of the baby while you are pumping. It always made me sad to see pic's of Abby and know that I couldn't be there, but reminded me why I was doing it. Be there as much as you can, looking back you will never regret that. But try not to feel bad for the time that you just can't be there.
    Last edited by @llli*proudmommy; August 1st, 2009 at 01:51 PM.
    Hi, I'm Lisa, mommy to:
    *Emily Grace 12-13-06.weaned with at 3 1/2
    *Abigail 9-12-08 born at 28 weeks 2lbs 13oz-Now my 2 year old nursing chunky monkey
    Nursing after a 12 week stay in the NICU

:

Its a shame the hospital your baby is at doesn't have accommodation. The hospital my DD was at had accommodation that you could stay in if you lived more than 30 mins drive away. We didn't qualify for that, as we were 25 mins away, but it was there and free. Covered by the public health system.

Is there a social worker you can talk to about this?

Totally understand the difficulties of dealing with recovering yourself and trying to get milk supply up, with dealing with a prem baby.

Maybe there's a prem support group at the hospital?
    Alison, mummy to Erin
    Born @ 30 weeks, 2nd July 2008, 3lb 11oz, fully breastfed

cloth nappy wearing bub.