Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this normal?

Default Is this normal?

I had my baby at 28 weeks. and shes a week and 3 days old now. She weighed 2 pounds 4 oz, 15 inches long. I am pumping for her, but Im only getting 9cc's is this normal at this age? I have started ferurgreek, as well as eating tons of oatmeal. I would love to see an LC but the one at the hospital baby is at is only there from 8-4 and i just cant make it there before then, we normally go to the NICU everyday but in the evening. Is 9cc's ok for this time? Shes eating 8 right now but they seem to increase it daily.

Default Re: Is this normal?

Congrats on your little one - how is she doing? How are you doing?

How often are you pumping and for how long? Are you using a hospital grade pump? Can the LC talk to you on the phone since she's not there when you are? Do you pump next to the baby - sometimes that can help. Skin-to-skin helps too - are you able to hold her yet?
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenniebean5 View Post
    Congrats on your little one Thank you- how is she doing? Shes doing wonderful....Growing quickly, coming off cpap already! How are you doing? Im doing ok...still pretty sore.

How often are you pumping and for how long?I pump every 3 hours for 30-45 mins each side Are you using a hospital grade pump? I have medela swing. I also have an I pump every 3 hours for 30-45 mins each side. almrada (sp) elite, but it doesnt work. Thats all i can afford right now Can the LC talk to you on the phone since she's not there when you are? She really cant do anything over the phone. Do you pump next to the baby - sometimes that can help. No they wont let me. Skin-to-skin helps too - are you able to hold her yet? No they are always giving me different excuses. What it comes down to is they dont wanna take the time to move her. I have got all different answers ranging from shes to small(even though shes already back up to her birth weight, plus some), you cant hold them when they are on cpap, her umbilical cord line is the reason...you name it ive heard it.

Do you have other kids at home?

I would pump more often than every 3 hours. Newborns nurse a lot more than that, so nursing often can help get your milk supply up and producing. Have you asked the hospital if they have a pump that you can use or rent?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*danlynclark View Post
    Do you have other kids at home?

I would pump more often than every 3 hours. Newborns nurse a lot more than that, so nursing often can help get your milk supply up and producing. Have you asked the hospital if they have a pump that you can use or rent?
    No other children....shes my first....I was pumping every 2 hours for 15 mins, and then my nipples started bleeding..so i went to every three hours for 30-45 mins, and they stopped. The elite pump is one from wic, but the hosptial has the exact same. I get about 4-5CC's more when using the medela. So thats why i started using only that one.

I was only getting that much at first and I was able to call and talk to the LC and she walked me though a few things that helped so much! I was told to pump every 2 hours for 10 to 15 min for the first few weeks. I would think that maybe if your nipples are bleeding that your flanges are too small?
    Hi, I'm Lisa, mommy to:
    *Emily Grace 12-13-06.weaned with at 3 1/2
    *Abigail 9-12-08 born at 28 weeks 2lbs 13oz-Now my 2 year old nursing chunky monkey
    Nursing after a 12 week stay in the NICU

:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*proudmommy View Post
    I was only getting that much at first and I was able to call and talk to the LC and she walked me though a few things that helped so much! I was told to pump every 2 hours for 10 to 15 min for the first few weeks. I would think that maybe if your nipples are bleeding that your flanges are too small?
    My what are to small?

Are you only going to the hospital once a day? If so, I think that it is the biggest reason you could be having low supply. You need to be with baby as much as you can right now. Try to touch as much as possible. Bug the hospital staff as much as you can to do skin to skin, and when you are able, kangaroo your LO all the time. This is more invaluable than pumping right now...which is of course important, but your body needs to be responding to your baby.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ambjosh View Post
    My what are to small?
    The part of the pump that is touching your breast. They make them in different sizes.
    Hi, I'm Lisa, mommy to:
    *Emily Grace 12-13-06.weaned with at 3 1/2
    *Abigail 9-12-08 born at 28 weeks 2lbs 13oz-Now my 2 year old nursing chunky monkey
    Nursing after a 12 week stay in the NICU

:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    Are you only going to the hospital once a day? If so, I think that it is the biggest reason you could be having low supply. You need to be with baby as much as you can right now. Try to touch as much as possible. Bug the hospital staff as much as you can to do skin to skin, and when you are able, kangaroo your LO all the time. This is more invaluable than pumping right now...which is of course important, but your body needs to be responding to your baby.
    Absolutely. If you can try to get to the hospital for more cares with the baby, and more touching, even just holding your hand still on their body while they're in the incubator. It all helps the hormones release in your body.

Sounds like you're pumping as much as I was when my DD was in NICU. Was doing every 3 hours in the day, and once at night. I used a Medela Swing at home, but at the hospital I used their Medela hospital grade pumps, and would double pump, ie; both breasts at the same time.

I can't understand them not letting you pump beside your baby. I was encouraged to do this, as they knew it helped. Can you try getting someone medical on your side? Midwife or doctor?

With my DD born at 30 weeks, I struggled with low milk supply at the start. I was getting about 275ml a day after the first week. This slowly increased each day by a few ml. I kept up with her feeds, just.

I tried all sorts of things to increase my milk. Took a lactation herbal remedy from a health food shop. Made lactation cookies (look on the net for a recipe), drank plenty of water, was prescribed a drug called Domperidone which can increase milk production, drank Tigers Milk (prob recipe for this in the Increasing your milk section of forum).

My DD was on CPAP only for 90 minutes, so we didn't have that "reason" for them not letting us hold her. We were only allowed 1 hour of skin to skin each day, which is different to some other hospitals here, where they actively encourage you to spend as much time as possible with the baby skin to skin.

It is normal for prem births to have supply issues, it will increase gradually, but best advice is to spend as much time as possible with your baby. I'd go in to the hospital with my husband on his way to work, and spend all day there. It's very tiring, but so worth it.
    Alison, mummy to Erin
    Born @ 30 weeks, 2nd July 2008, 3lb 11oz, fully breastfed

cloth nappy wearing bub.