Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milk is suddenly cut in half

Exclamation Milk is suddenly cut in half

I am new here so sorry if I get the terminolgy incorrect...

I have been pumping for a full three months now. Son takes a bottle three times a day while I am at work and the breast as much as he wants when we are together. Things had been going very well, I was able to pump at least 7oz combined almost each time which gave me enough for my stash and for a friend whose child is allergic to fourmula (that's entirely a different story). Suddenly last week I was not able to pump but maybe half of my usual ammount. I began to take fenugreek nothing, I changed the membranes and valves to my medela in style and and nothing, made sure my diet was on track with drinking lots of water and eating enough and nothing.
    So i have it narrowed down to two posibilities, One my pump (maybe not sucking enough?) two my period just came or maybe it's both.
    Baby still gets plenty in the evenings no crying or being fussy and I can still feel the let down with him which I don't feel anymore when I pump.

Sorry for the long explanation but I want to make sure and get it right this time since I wasn't able to breastfeed my first.

Default Re: Milk is suddenly cut in half

It could just be your period returning. It's normal to see a drop when it first comes back. Usually it goes back up after a few days, how long has it been low?

Try eating oatmeal in the mornings. I notice a big difference in how much I can pump when I have oatmeal for breakfast.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

This coming Tuesday will be two weeks. I think it something to do with my pump. Can one become accustomed to the pump? I eat oatmeal every day.

I have noticed that when my son eats he has plenty, I can hear a lot of swallowing and he is very satisfied. It's only when I am pumping that I am getting nothisng. Shoud I buy a new pump? I am looking at maybe getting the Hygeia pump. Any thoughts?

I only lost supply when AF came and if I was coming down with something...
    As long as you know your pump is in good working order it should be OK...
    I never heard of that pump - who makes it??

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

It's a green company that manufactures hospital grade pumps. The FDA has approved them for sharing, you just buy your personal kit and you are good to go . They also have a three year warranty and if you don't like the pump you have 21 days to return it minus the cost of your kit (35). They have great reviews and can cost less than the Medela.
    I am giving it to Monday and if nothing has changed I will put a call in to a LC. Thanks for the support.

Oh and here is their website...

http://www.hygeiainc.com/

SO I decided to go ahead and see the LC the good news was she recomended I switch to the largest breast shield, the bad news is that it's not the only reason mysuply isn't as strong. But on a side not I tried the Hygeia pump and all I can say is WOW!!!! this is the most comfortable pump I've ever tried. You can't even tell it is on.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*addisonsmom View Post
    SO I decided to go ahead and see the LC the good news was she recomended I switch to the largest breast shield, the bad news is that it's not the only reason mysuply isn't as strong. But on a side not I tried the Hygeia pump and all I can say is WOW!!!! this is the most comfortable pump I've ever tried. You can't even tell it is on.
    How's it going now, mama? What did she say was another reason your supply wasn't as strong? Can we help?
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Not much, she said it may be because I got the Mirena IUD, Apparently it can mess with some people's supply, Dr never mentioned this.
    the odd thing is that baby does not seem to be missing milk and my breast are pretty tender just can't get much pumped out. But he has been nursing a little less than normal but not unhappy just not hungry.

Any ideas? We are going onto week 4 of this

How old is your little one? When you are together and nursing, is his wet diaper output fine?

My little one is 12 months and about 5 weeks ago I noticed a major drop when I pumped at work. (That's the only time I pump anymore, about 3 times a week) I went from a combined 6 oz total to 2.5-3oz. I've tried changing my pump parts on my electric, tried the hand pump, fenugreek and oatmeal. When I nurse her at home during that time, she seems full and I can tell by her swallowing she is getting more then what I feel I am pumping. So I just concluded I have become desensitized to pumping. Don't know what else it could be.
    Missy MooCow
    - Mom to DS 03/2003 & DD 07/2008
    - - Ex-Exclusive pumper
    - - Yeah!! Full time nurser since December!!