Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just started pumping...

Default Just started pumping...

...and I have a few questions.

1. What are the rules for combining expressed milk from different pumping sessions (milk in the fridge & milk in the deep freeze)

2. Does milk have to be cooled in the fridge before it is put in the freezer.

3. What amounts have you found it best to freeze in?

4. Does anyone know how much less nutritious frozen milk is from fresh?

5. Does anyone know of or have a detailed chart on pumping/storage rules?

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Just started pumping...

See if this link helps!

ETA: I personally froze in 2-3 oz increments. But I'm a SAHM and never needed to give bottles that often. Good luck!
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*caidyn View Post
    ...and I have a few questions.

1. What are the rules for combining expressed milk from different pumping sessions (milk in the fridge & milk in the deep freeze)

2. Does milk have to be cooled in the fridge before it is put in the freezer.

3. What amounts have you found it best to freeze in?

4. Does anyone know how much less nutritious frozen milk is from fresh?

5. Does anyone know of or have a detailed chart on pumping/storage rules?
    !

1) I would keep fresh & frozen milk separate, because they have different expiry times. But combining several frozen sessions is easy. Remember when combining fresh that the milk can only last as long as the oldest session in the combination.

2) It doesn't have to be, as long as the bag which you freeze was empty to start with (don't put warm/fresh in a bag with frozen, since you'll thaw some of it) and the bag of warm milk doesn't touch bags of frozen milk (again, the thawing issue).

3) I liked 2-3 oz, so that I never wasted any when I thawed it. I laid the bags down flat to freeze, because they thawed faster that way.

4) The nutrition is unaffected, it is the immunological properties that are somewhat less in frozen than fresh. It's still the best stuff out there, though!

5) on the kellymom chart - that site rocks!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

I too am new to pumping and would like to ask a couple more questions (instead of starting a whole new thread):

1. Can you combine milk from both breasts to store as one (I just pumped from both and only got 2oz and 1oz)?

2. Is there any harm in reusing storage bags? I live in Mexico and cannot find them anywhere so have a limited supply from Canada. If it's NOT a good idea, any suggestions on how else I can store the milk?

3. Can an unused bottle be reused at the next feeding?

4. Can left over milk from one feeding be combined with milk? And/or can it be added to the next bottle to "top it up"?

I go back to work tomorrow and am worried about the baby having enough to eat!

Finally, my big question is in regards to "how often"? Right now I breastfeed on demand and my little one eats a lot more than every three hours (she's 7.5 weeks old). How does such a routine work when bottles are involved (and thus why I am wondering if saving and combining left over milk is okay)? Do babies take more from a bottle and thus learn to go longer between feeds? Also, I read somewhere that babies tend to sleep more when mom is working which also reduces feed amounts. Is this true? Is it the norm?

Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*df.mama View Post
    I too am new to pumping and would like to ask a couple more questions (instead of starting a whole new thread):

1. Can you combine milk from both breasts to store as one (I just pumped from both and only got 2oz and 1oz)?
    Yes!!

I
    2. Is there any harm in reusing storage bags? I live in Mexico and cannot find them anywhere so have a limited supply from Canada. If it's NOT a good idea, any suggestions on how else I can store the milk?
    I wouldn't do it, you could use an ice cube tray, freeze the milk into cubes and then double bag it in ziplock bags. I think that some people will reuse them, it's just not what I would do. Could you by more online?

3. Can an unused bottle be reused at the next feeding?
    I do use the bottle again at the next feeding if it's within a couple of hours. However, I wouldn't go over four hours from the same bottle. What we do is just give my daughter 2 ounce bottles because she rarely eats more than that at once. Then we can give her two bottles if she's extra hungry, but not waste any if she's not very hungry.

4. Can left over milk from one feeding be combined with milk? And/or can it be added to the next bottle to "top it up"?
    I would say no to both. You can always giver your child more than one bottle in a row.

I go back to work tomorrow and am worried about the baby having enough to eat!

Finally, my big question is in regards to "how often"? Right now I breastfeed on demand and my little one eats a lot more than every three hours (she's 7.5 weeks old). How does such a routine work when bottles are involved (and thus why I am wondering if saving and combining left over milk is okay)? Do babies take more from a bottle and thus learn to go longer between feeds? Also, I read somewhere that babies tend to sleep more when mom is working which also reduces feed amounts. Is this true? Is it the norm?

Thanks so much!
    My sitter offers my daughter a bottle every two hours. Some babies will take more from a bottle - that is what I have heard is normal, but my daughter does not. I guess some babies probably do sleep more when away from mom - mine does not. However, she still reverse cycle nurses - meaning that she eats very often throughout the night, although she doesn't really wake up.

Good luck! It is hard to leave your baby and to have to pump, but you can do it!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I agree with all the great advice you have recieved here. I wanted to wish you both great luck with pumping and going back to work. It's hard in the beginning but gets much easier as you do it