Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low milk supply @ 9months old...help!

Default Low milk supply @ 9months old...help!

My son is 9 months old. Over the past month I have had some weeks where it seems like I am not making much milk and other weeks when I wake up engorged. I think part of my problem is that he is teething. He has been teething pretty much constantly since he has been 5 months old. Whenever he starts to cut teeth he tends to eat like crazy (every 1 or 1 1/2 hours) and when he isn't teething he will go 2-3 hours without eating. During the teething spells he pretty much sucks me dry. During the non-teething spells I will feel milk letdowns before I put him to breast. We visited out pediatrician last week and he weighed 16 lbs 14 ounces. She asked if we are still nursing. I told her yes and he is also eating 3 meals a day. She told me that he should be getting 24 ounces of breast milk or formula each day. Now, of course I don't know how much he is actually getting. She suggested supplementation if I don't think he is getting enough. I have tried that and he doesn't seem to want it. He has taken formula a couple of times but most of the time he will nibble at it and then bat it away. I am not sure if he is not hungry any longer or if he just doesn't want the formula. My son is a very active and healthy boy and is developing normally so I really don't think there is an issue with him not getting enough breast milk. I do pump about twice a day (morning and evening) but I don't get much if any at all. This morning I got 1 1/2 ounces and last night I got drops. Now that you know my background here are my questions.

Is it normal for milk supply to diminish like this? I am hoping to nursing 2 years.

What can I do to increase my milk supply besides pumping, which I am already doing?

Any help and words of encouragement will be very appreciated

Default Re: Low milk supply @ 9months old...help!

what are the babies wet diapars like? that the way to know if he is getting the milk he needs.
    If you want him to nurse more offer more time to nurse. I added an extra feed in the eve watch tv if I thought that the baby had not nurse the ammount they needed that day.
    does he sleep all night? are you feeding him at night? that might be another time you could add an extra feed.
    What is his growth like? that also tells you if he is getting the milk he needs.

Default Re: Low milk supply @ 9months old...help!

I usually change him 3-4 times a day with the result of very wet diapers. I do not change him at night. When he isn't teething he sleeps well (2 - 1-1/2 hour naps during the day and night time sleeping he usually wakes up once around 3 or 4 A). When he is teething he eats more during the day and only takes 1 or 2 short naps that only last about 30-45 minutes and he wakes up 3-4 times in the middle of the night). He is gaining weight but he is dipping in the growth chart (dipping per the American Academy of Pediatrics standards but he is still within his own growth arc).